Quick question - Cut and Polish

Scrubb

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hrmm sorta a bit hard to see in photos, but I would say most of those would come out with a decent cut and polish. Use a proper rubbing compound, buff it afterwards with a buffing cloth (preferably on a rotary buffer) and then apply wax afterwards. I guess I could try one panel with my stuff and see if it makes it better.

On a related note: My car has some patches where the paint is scratched and swirled from a previous polishing job. Its still got plenty of paint on it but just scratched which stops it looking properly glossy. Whats the best way to fix it?

Yeah, that patchy stuff just came up after I took it through the car wash so I'm guessing its just leftover wax.. rubbed off real easy when I first noticed it but now it dosnt come off too easily.. washing the car made it a little better but its still there as you can see in the pics.

I'm not worried about that white spot as its only tiny. I might not use the stuff I used last time after reading this as its a cream and might be a bit harsh? But it did come up really great last time. Might try some liquid stuff I have called Re-Po Paint Doctor, or the warehouse has this CRC stuff which comes in 2 bottles, one cuts and shines it up I think and the other polishes and waxes. You apply them in a step 1 and 2 process.

I have really no idea what to look for when it comes to good rubbing compounds, I'm only mentioning this CRC stuff ect because I work at the warehouse and get discount.. I have access to a buffer too so thats not a problem but I'm worried about going through the paint while using a buffer? I got told to only use for waxing?

What was the stuff called you're talking about Fuel?

Thanks for all your advice! Better to be safe than sorry!

I used 3M Finish-It 3000 rubbing compound, it's pretty expensive for a 1L bottle, but I borrowed that stuff off Wayne. I also used 3M Finishing compound which is my flatmates.

You want to do waxing manually, then buff off with a orbital buffer. You can use an orbital buffer with the correct polishing cloth to apply the rubbing compound, but for your paint you could probably do it manually.

xsspeed - yeah repco and supercheap sell them, bout $10 I think.

I was able to make this:

81966535_full.jpg

81966478_full.jpg

Go to this:

83861080_full.jpg

83861211_full.jpg

Yup, thats exactly what it turned out like for me when I did it the last time.

I think I might use a not so harsh product this time as I have no real scratches this time. I just want to fix the fading. this CRC RE-PO stuff I used has extra cut polish (red tin) and normal polish (blue tin) it says to use the normal polish on new cars and clear coates ect.

So that 3M stuff isint so harsh as what I used? If not I might get some of that, or maybe try some first if I could?

I really dont want to waste any more money or ruin my paint so I dont know weather to go with what I used the last time or just a less harsh polish?

Ive got some wax so I'll wax it ever now and then so hopefully I dont get this problem again

Read this guide its got pretty much everything you have to know.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=66024

Nice job on that Galant Fuel!

Thread hijack / I did some on my Punto today with Meguires 83# turned out pretty sweet. Meguires products are really good, its quite hard to get there cutting compound as Ripco and Supercheap dont really stock them. And make sure the wax you use doesn't have silicon in it otherwise it will leave swirl marks. Meguires Yellow Carbuna wax works sweet from Supercheap $39 dollars I think.

Thats half the roof with one pass, I need to get a light on it to see any more defects. But I am happy with that as I just wanted the car to be red instead of pink.

24zd5jo.jpg

yeah I had that stuff years ago, even have a bottle of their liquid wax and their colour restorer (strong cutting compound) but hardly anywhere stocks it anymore. Mothers and Meguairs stuff is generally better these days though.

Ive just done our launch again, i do i good once over before we go away for summer and i used the 3 Step System from mothers.

I usually use the Carnauba Cleaner Wax and it does a mint job is just a wax on wax off process that brings the paint up and removes the Oxidation etc.

The 3 Step system starts off with

A Pre Wax cleaner, that took off the Osidation, Dirty paint, and all the old wax etc. And gave it a light Polish.

The Gelcoat looked a lot brighter and like it had a good polish. Once this is done the next two processes can be done as many times as you like over the Year.

Then you have Step 2 which is a Sealer & Glaze It polished even further and made color deeper and got ride of all the small imperfections and swirls that were there.

Then step 3 is the Pure Carnauba wax, which protects as you know, i did 3 coats of this over the boat, which will hopefully help resist the salt etc for alot longer.

The Key to all of the processes is to use a minimal amount of product as it does the same job and is easier to apply and remove.

The Primer on my car now also looks like a gloss Clear Coat ofter the Process.

why would you polish primer?

I justtried it, and mainly the wax stage as it protects the Bog/steel under it.

but wax would fuck it up when you go to paint over the primer?

Nah i won't be painting over supercheap primer again, i can remove the primer with window cleaner easy as.

Most panels have full paint under them any how.