d.p.n.s

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =192752087

$300

Its listed as a TDo5 not TD05 so hopefully not as many people have seen it throught the search tool i just found it bacause i was being a munter and accidently types o5.

He said he can make it from a few basic dimmensions and off one of his blocks etc i guess.

That would be a pretty good deal for $300.

If it gets closer to $400 then id be tempted to go for a manual S15 T28. It may not be rebuilt but it will be ballbearing which means it will spool faster. IMO this is what you want as your engine aint a rever. The Td05h is good design tho, it doesnt have massive lag probs and will be sweet as on a 2l. I dunno, I guess maybe BB isnt rebuildabe economicly so thats a downfall.

Also need to look at what power you want/engine will hold on standard internals. There is no use going the bigger turbo if you cant use the extra flow.. may as well just go smaller with less lag therfore more usable power. You may already know this, just random ramblings.

Gaz

I cant find flow rates of the S15 turbo but im sure it is the same or very similar to the TD05h. From outputs ive seen people make they seem to be similar. I think the T28 may be slightly larger but not 100% sure. The BB T28 would def be a better turbo to suit your engine if it is similar size. It is a bit more expensive tho and you wont get a rebuilt one for cheap. Saying that we have no idea what that Td05 is going to go for!

I'd jsut run with the TD05, have been reading a few intresting articales about the differnces between ball bearing and normal shaft bearing turbos:

Matt Dunn off toyspeed replaced his KKK turbo with a garret equivilant of the same size but wasw ball bearing, and found he only got boost approximatly 100-200rpm earlier

TD turbos are great, and in the future you can always send it to steve murch for the magic TD06 treatmeant, where as with the s15 turbos you are limited to what you can do with them.

I'd just grab a cheap evo 1,2 or 3 turbo get it rebuilt and run with it, TD turbos are great can be rebuilt really cheap

On ST Hi-tech build blog he does a comparsion between a gtr running a set of trust t51z turbos and a gtr running a set of hks 25/30s, there was no differnce between the spool and power made, the only differnce was in the price with the hks items being alot more thna the trust item as they are ball bearing.

Food for thought

That guy from Palmy with the FE3s is Fred's arch nemesis :lol:

haha yeah i noticed

Mean cheers for the advice Toyota Drifter, appreciated.

All good turbo's are an intresting topic, the more i research them the more i find that basic good vlue rebuildable turbo's are a better option

TD sereis turbo's can be rebuilt for around 400 bucks a high flowed rebuilt steve murch job is around 800 and will give you enuff flow to make 300kw

Ball bearing turbo's are great but a well desgined manifold and correctly choosen turbo size can work jsut as well, except for coming on a boost a few 100 rpm later

Yeah very truely spoken. The Td05 is a really well designed and built turbo by garret. It has mint spool charicteristics so yeah maybe BB wouldnt be as much of an advantage. It was the tubs I was going to run before a cheap BB T28 with new internals popped up.

Your comment on upgradeability and ease of rebuildability are a very good reason why going with the TD05 is a good idea over the T28.

Gaz

Yeah very truely spoken. The Td05 is a really well designed and built turbo by garret. It has mint spool charicteristics so yeah maybe BB wouldnt be as much of an advantage. It was the tubs I was going to run before a cheap BB T28 with new internals popped up.

Your comment on upgradeability and ease of rebuildability are a very good reason why going with the TD05 is a good idea over the T28.

Gaz

TD's are made by Mitsubishi

Trust turbos are all made by Mitsubishi

HKS are made by Garret

Apexi are made by IHI

Blitz are made by KKK

Yeah Bang on Gaz if it wasn't a good turbo Mitshubishi wouldnt have put them on every evo until the 10 :)

• 3 weeks later...