Honda tech...

Rusted

So I just brought a EB1 civic. This little girl actually rolls pretty damn well to the point where my mate in his MR2 had trouble keeping up with the little civ. I want to make it very difficult for him to keep up...

I have sourced a EN1 civic with 5 speed. Does anyone know how I can tell if it's the 1300cc?

I'm thinking along the lines of 1300cc block with skimmed 1200 head(High comp) and an uprated carb for the time being. Mid term is dress it up as an RS on my yuck street fins.

http://www.1stgencivic.com/

Honda's are scary. You need to get the right kind of B16 otherwise it won't fit and even then you practicly need to change the entire front end over from a vtax car. Welding mounts, larger driveshafts, different linkages and clutch master/pedal box positioning. That conversion makes for a whole lot of fun! :D

K20A conversion into EB1 please.

Honda's are scary. You need to get the right kind of B16 otherwise it won't fit and even then you practicly need to change the entire front end over from a vtax car. Welding mounts, larger driveshafts, different linkages and clutch master/pedal box positioning. That conversion makes for a whole lot of fun! :D

Really? Fuck. I was fully looking at B16s on tardme last night thinking about it for like a year or some shit from now. Fuck that stz though. Might just chuck a pod filter on for vtec

It's not worth the hassle with a carbied EF to a B series swap either, there's guys on NZH who have done it but the end result is never that flash.... mounts and gearboxes aren't really the problem, you can buy off the shelf mounts for a B series to slot into a D series car and use a cable B series gearbox with minimal hassle. It's the hubs and pissing around with axles and CV's where problems arise, just gets messy and uneconomic.

Really? Fuck. I was fully looking at B16s on tardme last night thinking about it for like a year or some shit from now. Fuck that stz though. Might just chuck a pod filter on for vtec

Yah, I wanted to get a EF civic hatch and spack it on my steels. I looked on TM and heaps of civics were for sale with blown motors and B16A's are super cheap, like you could pick up a whole engine or doner for around $500 but I looked it up hard core on the interwebs and cunts were having epic amounts of trouble with it and since I struggle with even semi-bolt in conversions and engine work I thought I would give that whole silly idea a miss. At the end of the day I don't even want a vtec civic anyway haha

It's not worth the hassle with a carbied EF to a B series swap either, there's guys on NZH who have done it but the end result is never that flash.... mounts and gearboxes aren't really the problem, you can buy off the shelf mounts for a B series to slot into a D series car and use a cable B series gearbox with minimal hassle. It's the hubs and pissing around with axles and CV's where problems arise, just gets messy and uneconomic.

Oh yeah, when I was trying to sort it I didn't want to pay money for stuff so pulling apart a doner was the only option. I guess that is one good thing about modifying hondas though. Aside from the end product usually being something fast and reliable, is that you can get almost anything off the shelf. You can still buy brand new D15B twincarb engines from Honda and they are only about $1000 too. Very good company I think. They should have just made their shit be more interchangable and made one or 2 RWD vehicles back in the 80's and 90's and they would be far more awesome IMO.

Yeah it was more out of interest I suppose, you all know what it's like to get a new car (even a piece), you just want to know a bit about them/variations on them.

Stick to the lowering and wheels I think.

As it eventuates, I just need EF hatch rear shocks and a set of decent EF spec kings/whatever springs to lower it. The stock shuttle rear shocks are too long apparently. Not really important but it's semi-interesting.

They should have just made their shit be more interchangable and made one or 2 RWD vehicles back in the 80's and 90's and they would be far more awesome IMO.

I think its mean they mostly stuck to fwd's. If I were to ever do up a fastish fwd I wouldn't touch anything but a Honda personally (only cause mk1 2door golfs are so hard to get/expensive). Even my sisters 87' lude was pretty damn fun to drive :oops: Had awesome turn in (probably cause of 4ws) which snapped into oversteer if you weren't careful. Never driven a newer Honda but pretty keen to take a B series vtec one for a blast. Wouldn't go near them if they didn't make such awesome little engines though.

B16A is a future option for the next owner. I'm just going with a simply EN1 conversion with 5 speed. Bolt on etc etc. Looking at possible fitting twin throat carb ex sud and some extractors after a rebuild on the EN1 block.

I fucking HATE hondas....but they do go well.

I had a young prick flip me a finger for pulling into a lane and not letting him in first,when he was riding my arse.

I was in our old $500 3rd gen prelude 4WS 20i and the guy undertook me,threw a ring spanner at the car and then had himself a chase on his hands.

He was in a subaru GT turbo wagon and he couldnt get away from me at all,maybe traction out of the corners and that was it.I had him on brakeing and cornering........this cunt was blowing stop signs to get away..i was blowing em to catch the fucker..till he wrote himself off on a parked car and crabbed the fuck outta there in his glorified volkswagon.

So.yeah I fuckin hate honda's,lol.

People say rice tastes like shit..........2 billion people cant be wrong eh

Dammnit this is supposed to be a Gen I/II civic E-sereies engine thread

So all of you stop talking about 4WS preludes and bring-a-ding-ding vtec motors

What year is the car exactly? Is it an EB1 or EB2 or EB3 (all are gen I) the EB1 and EB2 have smaller valves and combustion chamber. I doubt it's worth swapping heads with the EN1 with what you are doing.

If the motor is an EN1 its 1335cc im pretty sure. I dont know if the gen II came with any other engines. From what I can remember it "should" "just bolt in" but you know how those stories go, so I imagine there might be some mucking about with engine/gearbox mounts a bit. Wagon knuckles and brakes are supposed to fit and be bigger - but I've never ever seen a gen I wagon in NZ.

this might be useful

http://www26.brinkster.com/drzoom/civichowto.htm

also this story is pretty lol

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/0704_ht_1974_honda_civic_1200/index.html

Also, how are you going to put it on said yuck street fins? are they crazy 4x120mm PCD?

• 2 years later...

To follow through and complete the query, Does it fit? Yes. The EN1 engine has a different top engine mount. You can custom fab an arm to suit, or you can fit an EB3 head. EN1 block + EB3 head = direct bolt in/ Need to tap the sump a little and with five speed room does get tight.

I would not recommend this setup? No. The 5 speed has really bad ratios and I have found the 1335cc very flat compared to the 1169cc EB1 engine.