N00b diesel help

mikuni

This isn't really tech but ohwell.

My Piazza is running a 4FC1-T 2L turbo diesel.

It won't start. And I'm too n00b to figure out why. It had the fuel light on for part of the last trip I did but wasn't particularly low. Now its saying it has 2 bars of gas, which is about 1/4. I mashed another 5L in just incase but no change.

Now it seems to run a mechanical injection setup? Which I assume is pretty normal for older diesels so I can't imagine what else it needs to start. It seems to be glowing ok as well.

I have heard that diesels can be a cunt when they run out of fuel, as they need to be bled? Is this as easy as just ripping the fuel hose off at the outlet side of the fuel rail and mashing it back on when diesel starts coming out?

Also probably worth noting is it does have an aftermarket timer for the glow plugs (because it used to be petrol) and this has about a 5 second time out period from when you turn the key to start, to when the starter actually ingages. I'm pretty sure this is only across the starter relay though so I don't see why it would affect anything to do with the engine running.

usually there's a hand pump on top of the fuel filter housing, I think you undo the fuel feed line to the injector pump and pump the hand pump until fuel comes out?

otherwise undo one of the injectors and crank it over and see if diesel comes out - at least you'ld know if it's getting fuel or not.

failing that ask mongol, he's a diesel pro.

main reason for diesel not running is an airlock if you have one of them the compression from the engine will force the air that the injector is trying to 'inject' into the engine right back up the line .

in other words what phil siad hand prime until it goes hard , screw back in (if its that kind) , then crack all injector pipes at the injector end and turn over till fuel comes out of all of them , tighten back up and fucking bang should start

ok, that sounds pretty straight forward. I checked out the lines into the injector pump etc and I couldn't really see anything that looks like a hand pump (though it was dark). Was does that look like?

What do 4FC1's come out of?

Are the Isuzu digital gauges as inaccurate as the Subaru ones were?

I would check out if you have some kind of hand pump first. should plop a 4JJ1-TC in there. They rool.

I don't really know what they come out of, I can't really find any info on them at all. I think possibly Isuzu Fargo vans? Either way I don't think they are very common.

I'd love to put something decent in there! Completely not worth it but it would be funny seeing a fast diesel piazza. I should just boost the shit outta this one.

It won't look like a plunger until it's unscrewed though, so just look for a small either round or hexagonal shaped thing ontop the housing and try unscrew it, it should unscrew fairly easily and then pop up, allowing it to be used as a pump, I do have my doubt however that it has one... :?

nah they look like a plastic cap with a diaphagm hing under it. take a pic of your engine bay/uel filter housing.

to be honest though, just undo one of the injector pipes a bit and turn it over. if it's got fuel ther, then close it and do the same with the other three. then it should go. if not then you have to get the fuel to the pump, then wind it over til diesel at injectors.

then do bowtz

then do bowtz

qouted for truth

the priming pump is along the fuel in line and i usually after the filter but before the pump ... but then again it might be an electric lift pump?.

also yuh boost the fuck out , pull aneroid cap vacuum hose off and go cruising

Cheers to jase. Finally have the fucking pizza going again now. It was a loose wire going to what he thought was the fuel cut off solinoid. Pretty much found it by chance after bleeding everything for ages and not being able to find a diesel fuel filter of any kind or a hand pump for that matter. Thank fuck it wasn't just me going crazy!

since it died again shall we have another go i think i have a filter and bleeder assembly at dads,

will ring him an find out if he hasn't turfed it,

from memory theres an inline filter by the petrol pump by the fuel tank,

thats probably full of water and being a petrol philter its probly full of crap also,

if it ain't those wires its got to be fuel supply for sure,

ie the filter bleeder does not allow flow back where as the petrol system after pumping

grainy diesel has probly lost its seating at the diaphragm on the piazza pump and will be bleeding,

we can bypass your glow plugs and run a switch or button on the dash so that cranking

will=cranking none of that delay bullshit,

you'll keep the cheap bitch if its running i'm sure,

may have to investigate what that other solenoid on the injector pump is for as i'm

sure that adjusts the pumps timing as the one on the back is the cut

jase

yeah I'm trying to figure out what kind of fuel filter I can mash in there. I'm after an inline diesel fuel filter but I'm not sure if such a thing exists. I asked around a bit and theres an onto-it-ish cunt out ham east that might have a perve at it but I don't think its really worth it.