Engine drinking alot of water

Leebo3

Ello ello,

just noticed in recent times that the falcon is using alot of water. I filled up the radiator and overflow bottle and i would say when i got home from my trip to Wellington it would have been empty or damn near it (the overflow that is). Doesnt appear to be any water in my oil, but there is a black shiz that forms in top of my radiator and cap.

I do think my cooling system is alittle underrated (XF coon 2 core with mech fan and shroud), so if the radiator is always working hard nuts, does that mean i would use more water? The temp does start to fair dinkum rise if i have been idling in traffic for a while. Or am i just being a loser and this is the amount of water an engine should use, even if it is only 1500 miles old?

Cherry

black sludge at top of radiator suggests BHG.. happened to me too, no milky oil and ran on all four with 185psi compression still - I didn't even know anything was wrong until I checked my radiator one day.

XF falcon with alloy head? Bad for cracking and warping if it is. Dont get them to hot or it will shag it even more if it isnt already. Maybe you could try something like heal-a-seal to see if it fixes the problem.

Well yeah, its just my inlet manifold is so so hard to get sealed, when i first did it water would piss out everywhere, and it filled the block right up, which i left the water in there for the night... I might take the whole engine and box out because i still need to put my new flex plate on to fix that stupid problem i have with my starter.

Should be able to whip the head off and sort it pronto, pushrod engines are the simplest things ever to do head gaskets on.

I guess on a V engine you'd be wise to do both HG's at the same time?

Also - if this turns into another wanker cooling theory fest it's gonna get the lock real quick, and poor Dave/Lee won't get the help he requires. And we don't want that. So play nice. :)

COuld be BHG. Or does it dump it out overflow. Could be blocked radiator/coolant line or something. That can cause overflow to pop on overrun/when cars not on revs. Fronte does it hardbums. I think fronte is BHG tho :P But yea, as richie said. If its a bhg is will be easy as change. Quick release even. :lol:

Haha yeah go the quick release, i have just been to see the rdaiator dude and he said if it was a HG it would more likely to blow all the water out rather than drink a whole lot. So yeah kinda poo'd as of what to do.

Cooling systems find their natural level. If the thing doesn't get hot but spits out water until a certain level and then keeps all the rest of the water it could well be OK.

Otherwise you may have a leaky water pump seal or something.

Pure water will not cause a headgasket to blow unless you pour it down the carb at 8,000rpm.

A test for carbon in the coolant will prove the HG, or any other point inside the engine where combustion gasses are getting into the coolant.

Your problem will be a simple one mate - they are simple, reliable and strong engines.

^^ what UJ said. If, as you sort of suggested, you're short on cooling anyway, it might be worth plugging an expansion tank into the overflow. That way the rad *should* stay fuller, and the water'll get sucked back in when it cools a bit.

Just an idea...

yea may car has similar prob , keeps losing water but only to a certain level , anymore then it spits it out.

also

water will not cause a headgasket to blow unless you pour it down the carb at 8,000rpm.

roflofagous