removing rear axle...please help

Beaver

hey all. i need to take out my one of the rear axles from my hunter as its broken. ive followed the manual up till the bit where it says 'using an appropriate puller, remove the axle'. what can i use to pull it out?

any help would be great thanks

if it doesn't just pull out then you probably will need an axle puller. they're not hard to make if you've got the gear, just need a flat plate to bolt onto your axle with a long bar coming out from the middle of it with a decent weight that will slide up the bar and something stopping it from coming off the end. slide hammer styles except this time you're pulling axles, not ignitions...................

cheers

Matt

thanks for those tips ppl ill give them a go when i get thae chance. when i put the new one in, will i have to knock it in, ie with hammer/

oh would using my mates winch on the front of his 4x4 work? if i just attatch some chain to the axle and then use the winch to pull it out? or does it need a sudden jolt?

thanks

rito then. i wont be able to hav a go till tuesday...fukn uni exams. so yeh hopefully i can get hte broken one out and the good one in. ill take some more pics and add them to my project thread case theres fuk all in there at the mo. thanks for the help

You dont always need something on the end of the chain to throw. If the chain is heavy then just whip it. (you know like with a whip or whatever and it makes that snaping sound in air.. Yuh like that)

Watch the car tho and your body parts.

Fuck you guys are rugged/awesome.

Use a slide hammer (/dent puller?). You can hire one form any hirepool/quip for around $10. It will work awesome first time. http://www.morganmfg.com/auto_img/jr-5al.jpg

^ Self explanatory tool, just put it into one of the holes on the axle and bang it out.

Before that though, stick your wheel back on with it all apart and ready to go. Make sure its secure as fuck on the axle stands and kick the shit out of the wheel. This usually works but on old cars that haven't had axles out before it may not.

Good luck man.

A slide hammer/dent puller is about $30 from Repco and they come in handy for ever.

Having said that - your broken axle probably isn't going to need a puller to remove - but the good axle most likely will.

Don't forget that unless you are very lucky with where it broke you are going to need to pull out both axles and the diff head too (to remove the broken bit of axle) - so don't park it close to any walls or you will not be able to withdraw each axle :D

i has a go today at taking out the axle. the guy told me that it was the left one that was broken, is there a way to check this? i tryed prety hard to get it out using a rope and and a tire and trowing it away from the car haha but nah it doesnt want to budge a. i myt just have to go rent a slide hammer or whatever thay are called. so yeh , whats the best way to check which axle is broken? i assume one of them is broken as thats what the dude i brought it off said.

thanks

It doesn't really matter which one is broken as both will need to come out anyway - but you should be able to feel which one is snapped (if that is what has happened).

Are you certain you undid all the bolts? Usually you can just rotate the hub flange as there will be a hole (or two) in tha flange that allows you to pass a socket through and driectly onto the four bolts holding in the bearing retaining plate.

yeh im pretty sure i undid all the bolts. i took the wheel off, then took off the break drum, then undid the 5 bolts that hold the axle ontot he housing. just like the manual says. its really starting to bother me a lol. i heading bak home tomoro (up to hamilton) so i wont have a chance to work on it again untill i come back down for uni next year, so hopefully i can figure out what i have to do for then.

^ Yup. Sounds like you have got them all off.

The resistance will be the bearing in the axle housing. The other think you can try is bolting an old rim on and smashing the steel of the rim with a big hammer. The shock is what works to free the arrangement so your ingenious but slightly more elastic method of throwing a tyre tied to a rope will not be as effective as steel on steel.

yeh i thort that would be the case. we tried using an old brake drum put on back to front and them smashing it with a hammer but yeh it didnt want to budge. thanks for all your input man. i shall update when i get another chance to work on it

chhers