fiat 500 bike engine project!

CylinderHead

decided to start up a thread after getting into too much discussion in another thread.

basically i want to put a bike engine into a bambina.

hopefully will start beginning of next year.

have been think long and hard about how i am going to do it and will need to think heaps more about it.

seen it done lots of different ways on the net, but i want it to look as stock as possible when finished, so if possible would like to keep the back seat.

this in mind my plan is this:

swap the IRS for a diff, talk of this here:

//oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

this is because the original half shafts are only rate for some crazy small amount of horse power.

want to mount the engine sideways and chain drive a sprocket on the end of the diff. off center diff should give enough room for this, and the fact that it has a chain means that it would be really easy to play round with the ratios and get them right.

will have to draw you guys a picture to make it a bit clearer.

so if all goes to plan, the chain should be horizontal, and therefore could have some up and down movement of the diff without the chain coming off.

there are other ways it can be done like a series of chains and axles, or bolting the engine output straight to the diff, but the one i saw like this had the engine in the passenger seat.

lots of little things i'll need to figure out such as lack of reverse, was thinking a really low geared starter motor system.

so sorry about all the reading, just trying to give you guys a good picture of what i want to do. sketches will come soon!!!

would be keen to hear any comments/ideas/concerns with this idea, or if you have a different idea let me know, reason i like my idea is cos it would hopefully be the easiest build.

chur.

yeh do it bro theres loads of poelpe that have don it in the uk

for the auto cross racing.

sticking gsxr1100 in minis and huabusa motors.

i remeber reading some where about a guy that put 2 busa motors

in his mini one up front and one in back and the thing was so brutal on take off he said it was like hav your face pushed threw your skull

how cool is that.

oh and you have the bike gearbox for nice clutchless changers :twisted:

yeah though about 'go kart' style system. just not sure how easy it would be to get a decent suspension set up something to look into tho.

my aim is to do it as simply as possible, i figure that if i get a diff from a car or something, i can use the hand brake, brakes, suspension etc already on it. lsd would be nice too.

heard about those boxes that change the drive direction, pretty scare having six speeds in reverse tho!!! i think they're pretty expensive. might try something with a grunty starter motor use the solinoid and put it somewhere on the drive line. have like a push button reverse, doesn't have to go fast.

Short shaft with the sprocket mounted on it, CV/uni at each end with shafts down to FWD style hubs.

Lets you run a simple chain set up but still be able to run a decent independent susspension setup.

For reverse you could use a ring gear and a starter motor.

sounds awesome! but where could i get one out of?
Got a welder and a grinder?
also, irs would be cool as it would mean that i could mount the engine with the chain almost vertical as the diff part wouldn't be moving just the half shafts.

Exactly what i was thinking

also, got any pics of that set up?

veedub_1074717017_mini4.jpg

EDIT: to me it almost looks like thats a LSD center with a sprocket instead of a crownwheel

I wanted to do this to a fiat 850. May do yet. Makes far more sense that getting a G11 charade and making a complete custom rear end and putting a GSXF 1100 in that. Why 1100? Because it's quarter the price of a Hayabusa engine.

Just make sure you've got AMPLE ducting, as the old 1100 is air/oil cooled, so is gonna need a heap of airflow to stay cool.