shortening diff axels

CylinderHead

its not easy, shortening the housing isn't that hard but with most axles you need to cut them down and then have them resplined.

if you have a look on trademe there's a couple of advertisements to do this, one is around $1200 and the other one $1650, both for hilux diff's where you supply the diff and brake conversion stuff.

alternatively Diffs R Us in Auckland has a really good reputation, not sure how much they are though.

would be interested to hear how you go with this, i'm currently stripping a hilux diff down for shortening to fit my celica with some superwide rear wheels.

cheers

Matt

its not easy, shortening the housing isn't that hard but with most axles you need to cut them down and then have them resplined.

alternatively Diffs R Us in Auckland has a really good reputation, not sure how much they are though.

They are about the same as trademe going by your figures above.

You could also do it the rugged way and make a jig and weld them up yourself. This was done to a diff I had and it ran 500hp without breaking. Guess depends if the weld fully penertrates etc.

I would imagine that most diffs should be able to hold up to 100hp. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you know for sure if you heve to do it... save yourself some money.

But in saying that, Steelie Gears in Otahuhu do this, last time I was there he showed me a hilux diff with R31 brakes on it which had been shortened. Now I'm pretty sure the sxel was actaully cut and welded back together but it was crazy cause you couldn't see the weld. I much better like the idea of cutting and resplining.

on some diffs, if you dont need to shorten it much. you may get away with just triming the ends off the axles. my hilux diff i shortend the housing about 20mm each side. there was enough spline cut up the axles, that wasnt being used. for me to cut 20mm of the end of each axle.

yeah, i know that lots of 4x4s have off center diffs, but if i used one of them i would have to cut each side anyway, so if i get standard diff and just shorten one side alot it will be nicely off center.

was thinking too, if i took it to a engineering shop and got it cut and welded rather than resplined how much do you reakon it would cost?

when we do them we bore teh flange

cut the axle to suit

shrink teh flange .3-.5 interferance onto teh axel and put a weld back in teh factory location

done man high hp cars like this and it has a few benfits like renewing one of the most stressed parts of the axel with new less fatigued steel

and while were there we true up your flange and bearing surface

spline cutting is dam expensive but works....though you still have the old flange joint and with a shorter axel it will now see more stress

cuting and joining in the middle.....well that can be ok but there are very few people in the country that can do it well

make sure they re temper and stress realive/polish there weld and have it crack tested afterwards

diff housings are eazy to do on teh otherhand...just make sure tehy sigot them and teh hold teh hubs true afterwars or you will end up with a car that crabs and never handles quite right

hope that helps you with your chosen method

wayne