Stuff.

cute wee gem

0 hy guyz! i gt sum qs

Can you run dizzyless ignition with carbs? like crank angle sensor + some fancy ignition? or do you have to run an ecu for timing etc?

Also, would there be much difference between 40mm flatslide bike carbs and 40mm itbs? (minus runner length/manifolds etc from the question)

And has anyone done diy crank lightening/knife edging? and did you do it with a lathe or what?

tnx f0 th hlp guyz!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Can you run dizzyless ignition with carbs? like crank angle sensor + some fancy ignition? or do you have to run an ecu for timing etc?

2.Also, would there be much difference between 40mm flatslide bike carbs and 40mm itbs? (minus runner length/manifolds etc from the question)

Yus you can run dizzyless with carbs. you'll need a ecu to do it. although, why do you want to?

yes theres lots of difference between carbs and quad throttles.

Yupp use the factory CAS like what I'm planning to do as the DOHC 4G63 doesn't use a dizzy. If it does have a dizzy, but you don't want to use it as a means of spreading spark, use just chuck a cap on it and use it purely for the reference (assuming it is electronic) and use an ignition computer. Main advantage is simplicity and reliability compared to point style dizzy, and the fact you can use a wasted spark set up, ie: individual coilpacks for cylinders=fatter and more consistent spark as the coil doesn't need to be charging and sparking as hardout as with dizzy setup.

Carbs vs ITBs?

Carbs are slightly more novice style I guess. More power and economy with ITBs.

I suggest you do some reading on CAS's and dizzys and coils and shit. I didn't and it helped mad\ke the Celeste turn into a nightmare that I couldn't deal with

Like Mike-e said with dizzyless. Why would you want to if you have a working dizzy. Cos youd need an ecu etc although you can get ignition only ecus. But then you may aswell go injection.

I would think injection would be better than carbs performance wise. But theres someting inherently sexy about multiple carbs :P

Like I said boe^ Coilpacks are just inherently better

Can spend a hundred bucks on an ignition computer, and a couple hundy on carbs. Manifolds are easy cos they don't need a flange to attach toas such, I think Richie got quote bout 150

VS $400 plus for a build it ya self ecu, plus fabrication for manifold, plus tbs, plus mad tuning. Depends what you're prepared to spend.

No doubt itbs are better in everyway (bar cost) but it just depends on your budget and knowledge

do itbs actually give more performance? I thought it was just better economy, and more reliable

You may want to go without the dizzy because you cant run a vacuum advance, even if you connect up all 4 inlets, it wont work properly. But you can still use vacuum brakes using only 1 inlet

Have you got r1 carbs lowlancer?? where and how much you pay? :?:

Im looking at bike carbs and just set the dizzy to run best at around 5k rpm with no vacuum advance, coz im a chap dude

Don't know what engine you are using so I'll answer according to Opel stuff which I did a (lazy :) ) year of research on to try suss my shit out.

To run R1 carbs on an Opel C20XE you ditch everything relating to loom/ecu/intake etc and find a Camira so you can use the old electronic ignition, with no ecu etc. I imagine you'd be able to apply this principle with any carbed/fuel injected engine if they came with both.

For my engine it uses Crank and CAM angle sensors and had no area for a dizzy. Afew of the fellas over in the UK actually run a Dizzy off a belt on the front using the same method as above.

I tried hard out to justify just running electronic ignition of some sort with MSD ignition or something similar but I couldn't really do it.

In the end if you want to go cheap and simple, buy a megasquirt and 4age 20v throttles and you're away. I almost guarantee it will cost you less in the long run and as soon as you begin tuning you will thank your lucky stars that you aren't fucking about with carbs.

At the same time, bike carbs are just so fucking cool :)

As far as performance goes, if you had 4 carbs that were 40mm and 4 throttles that were 40mm, the manifolds were perfect, jets were exactly right in the carbs, injectors were exactly right on the itbs, and all conditions and tuning were perfect, in theory you might be able to get the carbs to allow the engine to run as good as injection and make similar power, but probably not.

Look at bike engines. Years and years of developement on carbs and many manufacturers are even still using them, but the power figures between carbed and injected engines that are otherwise identical speak for themselves.

And has anyone done diy crank lightening/knife edging? and did you do it with a lathe or what?

dont-try-this-at-home.jpg

not something you want to moleste unless you know what your doing.

why do you want DLI what are you trying to achieve?

Yupp use the factory CAS

youd be lucky! not all motors are as well equiped as a fourgeesextyfree

cheers LL, brad etc

Basically mike-e I may be using an engine with no dizzy standard and wanted to run carbs but up till the last week of research I've started to go off the idea as its started to turn out less simple than expected

Obviously theres alot of difference...

Maybe I should have rephrased that to the difference in driveablilty and power delivery/general power etc. Most bike carb setups tend to be a bit sluggish low in the revs from what I've seen?

Guest sexychevette

not g200 cos cunts already got flash electrictronic ignition dizzy conversion kit thingy on that thing.

Oi ke-lowfullabro if ur takn out the g200, du u want to sell me the fancy ignition shit that mat put in it?