phils new awesomeness eterna

thminiman

what about pulling the pistons out of the GTO motor and putting them in the Mivec to lower the compression. Also forget twin turbo, big single turbo ftw.

GTO pistons sit 0.5mm above the deck and have approx 1.5mm thick headgaskets, while MIVEC pistons sit flush with the deck and have 0.5mm thin steel headgaskets. Even if you used the TT head gaskets on the MIVEC block with TT pistons the valves would still hit on the piston crown as there isn't enough of a relief for them.

just for comparison, TT pistons:

08080604.jpg

and MIVEC pistons from my 6A12 which would be very similar

pistons-1.jpg

also regarding the single turbo, I would love to go single but I don't think there will be room on either side for one large turbo, as opposed to two small twins compactly tucked up close to the engine block. I can't put the turbo in front of the engine as the V6 is nearly as long as the 4cyl and there just wont be room there either. Also the cost, I would imagine a turbo suited to a 3L engine would be quite pricey, whereas two TD04s from a GSR Lancer for example could be had for less than $300 for the pair.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I have done my research with the 6G72 motors and it would just be easier to use the MIVEC engine complete as it has a better crankshaft than the GTO one, and the rest of the bottom end is more or less the same or very similar, and I could lower the compression if need be by using GTO TT head gaskets in the MIVEC engine.

cleaning through mates shed for s12 parts and theres a v6 with no heads on it, its twin turbo one. will prob get the scrap as there moving, any use to you?

yeah mate so keen! more parts the merrier really, take it there's no turbos attached still?

chur

what about the pajero phil? :cry:

sadly not my friend, but could do in years to come along with all my other wacky mitsubishi conversion ideas such as GTO TT motor into 4WD Diamante, VR-4 motor into 80s 4WD Chariot

cleaning through mates shed for s12 parts and theres a v6 with no heads on it, its twin turbo one. will prob get the scrap as there moving, any use to you?

yeah mate so keen! more parts the merrier really, take it there's no turbos attached still?

chur

Id say no the sump pan is off and its there somewhere, possibly rest of engine lying around. will grab it over the next few days :D

inlet manifold I'm pretty sure I can get away with a combination of factory manifold pieces - there are at least three options I can do:

* cut and shut existing MIVEC manifold and keep the plenum hanging over the original bank

* rotate lower Y section of manifold and have the plenum hanging over the opposite side bank, thus facing the throttlebody forward however it will mean the oil filler cap will need to be swapped from one rocker cover to the other

* use the GTO plenum which will place the throttlebody going forward and the plenum will hang over the original bank so no problems with oil filler cap, problem is it's not high enough to clear the extra height of the MIVEC head, so could add a 10mm spacer between the plenum/runners and Y pipe at that flange

* or, and this is probably what I'm going to try - use the existing MIVEC Y pipe and runners, but unbolt the plenum (held on by cap screws) and see if a earlier shape Diamante or non turbo GTO plenum section will share the same shape and bolt pattern and attach it together (GTO plenum and runners are one piece hence I can't use them). This will place the throttlebody facing forward and will look like a factory manifold and will be able to use the MIVEC engine cover also (not that I would want to on an oldschool car).

exhaust manifolds definitely need to be custom fabricated, as the turbos are placed in the wrong area and the inlets/downpipes are pointing in the wrong direction.

firewall will stay as is at this stage, the V6 wont be set as far back as I would have hoped due to clearance issues with the brake booster/master and clutch master, also I need to leave a bit of room for the coolant pipe routing off the back of the cylinder heads (will most likely need to relocate thermostat housing though). Even if the V6 has 3-4cm more clearance to the firewall than the 4G63 does, the front of the motor will still be inline where the front of the 4G63 was.

biggest issue that I see will be finding a suitable gearbox (ie try find a Triton V6 2WD one, or if I need to use something else like W58 and custom bellhousing to suit), the sump pan and general clearance of things like the starter motor not getting in the way of the steering linkages. I really don't want to go as far as having to convert to rack and pinion, as that would just be too difficult and expensive to tackle and get running 100% I feel.

with the MIVEC V6 the power steering pump and air condition condensor are in the same place as they are on the 4G63, so little modification needs to be done there (yes I'm going to try keep working air con if I can help it).

it's just going to sit as high as one of the stock manifolds, plus being central means intercooler plumbing is going to be longer and possibly more in the way to get to the center of the engine bay as opposed to the side, and also it will get in the way of the RWD thermostat housing setup probably.