is my engine fucked?

captainmarty

The pintos do that alot. Can be cause of two reasons usually. One the engine is getting to hot and itll cause it to 'run on'.

Or cause the timing is a bit to advanced. Try retarding it. Turn dizzy slightly clockwise.

Doesnt mean the engines stuffed tho.

Tractability is what is usually refered to the lower end of a cars cam/rev range. If that makes sense. I.e Itll have shit tractability if the cam is aftermarket.. its that bit with cams/cam that lags untill the power comes on. Tractability usually gets worse as you go to larger cams.

Fuck that makes no sense but yuh.

Tractability is what is usually refered to the lower end of a cars cam/rev range. If that makes sense. I.e Itll have shit tractability if the cam is aftermarket.. its that bit with cams/cam that lags untill the power comes on. Tractability usually gets worse as you go to larger cams.

Fuck that makes no sense but yuh.

makes sense to me

also makes reference to the overall driveability of an engine across the rev range. a vry tractable engine will pull at almost any revs, for example, race engines are often not very tractable if not "on cam"/in the powerband, and this powerband is often only at the height of it's efficiency within a couple of thousand rpm

Yeah if there are alot of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber they can cause hot spots and cause the engine to run on as the hot spots will continue to ignite the air/fuel mix after ignition is cut.

Too hotter spark plugs can do the same thing too.

I'm pretty sure that's a symptom related to preignition.

Basically your engine is running hot. The 'preiginition'is a term used to describe when the fuel/air mixture is ignited by something other than the spark plug. These can be carbon deposits or localised hot spots such as sharp edges on exhaust valves. These alternative ignition sources are continuing to ignite the fuel/air mix after you've turned off the ignition. Causing Run-ON

So yeah, your engine is running too hot. To fix this

1) advance your timing, not retard it. It's probably too retarded which is causing the gases to complete the burning process later than normal so they are heating the exhaust valve too much on there way out.

2) colder plugs, I had the same problem because i had put hotter plugs in. I have since returned to colder plugs and advanced timing a little.

3) Richen fuel mixture. If your engine is running lean then the burn temp is higher. Running richer cools the burn process as the extra fuel absorbs heat energy as it vapourises. Useless info - ideal fuel/o2 mix gives most efficient burn, lean gives most economical burn, rich gives most powerful burn.

Preiginition can also cause ignition to occur prior to spark plug ignition. This causes detonation because the extra iginition source leads to two flame fronts (pressure waves) buring across the cylindar, as they come close to meeting they cause unburnt vapour to explode due to a localised pressure rise (detonation). note detonation is also often caused by overadvanced ignition timing or low octane fuel in high compression engines.

Shit that hurt. :? If I'm wrong tell me.

Good to hear. Hopefully you'll be getting a little extra power too. I guess that if your running lean then chances are you'd get preiginition no matter what timing and plug heats you use. Man i wish oldschool cars like ours had manifold EGT and oxy sensors, ECU's etc.We'd be able to sort all sorts of running issues out.

if it keeps on running it is bad for your motor as it can make it run backwards and will dry the bearings out which will cause unnessasery wear on big ends and mains which will in the long run cause bearing knock then buy buy motor so best to ceck carb mixture and dial in your cam if its got a lumping one good luck any ways mate go the ford105e ANGLIAs