1971 Morris 1300 engine transplant?

jafa.and.proud

I got a 1971 morris 1300, and wanting to look at a engine transplant in the future to something old skool and stock turbo

Going to be quite hard as its a land crab (engine in sideways, radiator out front left wheel arch)

i was looking at a uno turbo on trademe, but na that will be too hard, any other suggestions?

I used to have one that i started doing a transplant in but due to having to many things on the go i gave up.

I was fitting a nissan march engine and 5 speed box, .it was an all alluminium 16 valve 1300cc 4 cylinder with fuel injection.

engine and box will fit without to much dramas.

prolly will bolt straight in. you'd wanna use the 1300 box though as they have an exra mount which isn't able to be added to the later gearboxes without mods, and run a different type of inner cv system.

would be tough though no doubt. more room in a 1300 engine bay than a mini for sure

MG Metro Turbo will bolt up straight to original subframe engine mounts. Not sure about clearance for turbo+exhaust at rear of engine, Minis need the firewall modified. You should be able to use the brakes with a bit of adaption too. The Turbo has vented discs which should be used if possible. Most parts for this conversion should be avaliable from a mini specific importer.

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is good luck finding a metro turbo. I've been keeping an eye out but they usually get snapped up pretty quick by mini owners.

Others to consider:

Toyota Starlet GT - done in aussie, search google

Honda 1600 vtec- done heaps, search the net

honda city with turbo - never seen it done but it'd be cheap.

Austin Maxi (1800cc) - cant be too difficult in a landcrab.

An uprade has been on my list of things to do to my mini. I've accepted the mini for what it is and spent my money and time elsewhere.

Make a chassis for it out of 75 x 50 mm box, use a cortina or herald front end (double wishbone) basic 4 link rear and a leyland V8. Thats probly what i would do, but i guess it all depends on your skill ability.