Cooling engine down

Guest WESTCORT

Guest WESTCORT

Howsit im after some cheap and easy ways ( if there is any) to cool my engine down.. it runs at about 190* F at the moment which is just before redline for temperature on my gauge.

I tried using some chems to clean my radiator from repco, was supposed to clean rad and waterways of rust and slude thus making it run cooler but didnt do anything for the temp but made the water look clean so maybe the radiator wasnt so bad after all.

was thinking about making up some shrouding to force the air through the radiator but that doesnt really do anything for it when its standing still.

dont really want to go to the effeort of changing radiator but it may be the only way

try replacing your thermostat, they do stop working at the optimum temp sometimes, so it might not be opening until you get up to 190 and then closing once it slips below. i had a similar problem with my lancer, was a pretty easy fix.

electric fans are a definite bonus too but unless you haven't actually got one then its not going to take care of the amount of heat you've got.

what sort of car is it for??? you could try fitting a bigger radiator, its not exactly a major hassle to do.

cheers

Matt

im with retro , drill the hole , what your coolant/water mixture at?? if uve got too much coolant it makes it worse (water is actually better and conducting heat then coolant ) and the electric fan will defiantly help man , also becuase your engine is high ass comp[ression maybe better fuel ??? burns alot cooler

yeah, all it does is let water through your radiator before its up to temperature.

all a thermostat does is make sure the water only goes around the block, not the radiator untill your engine is hot (measured by water temp) the hotter the water gets, the further the thermostat opens. when it opens it lets water run through your radiator to be cooled, thus keeping your engine at optimum temperature.

for people that didnt know, a thermostat is just a valve

Guest WESTCORT

bought a new thermo hen i rebuilt it.. its still hasnt been tuned so ill wait till its tuned and then see how it goes. Ive got an electric fan off a laser so ill probly chuck that on anyways.

and oil level is fine and i drive around with heaters on full already hah

and i didnt put any coolant in the rad after i flushed it... just filled it with water