Shortening shocks

esky boi

yea i beliv in getting the warrents properly , admittedly i take my esky to a dodgy guy but he's been racing cars for 30yrs and knows whats safe and whats not , e.g he gave me a warrent for having differnt seats in my car that were safe, however gave my m8s civic a fail cos of a ripped steering rack boot haha , i dont mind those kinda warrents but letting a car drive around with a locker , cut springs ,flipped leaves, struts taken out is just f***kin dangerous

Yea I dont really support dodgy WOF's either, but I mean my cars pretty mint, Ive pretty much rebuilt the whole thing so I almost know every last bolt on it and its passed a WOF from VTNZ, I dont really use it a lot either. Just that when Its as low as it is I might run into some problems so a dodgy wof could come in handy. :wink:

Btw: the leaves are not flipped and the springs arent/wont be cut, they'll be captive etc....

I dont know about the locked diff being illegal but the fliped leaves i was told about by a spring dude in Vegas. Cant remember exactly why but something about it making the spring pressure go the wrong way which stuffs up the handling. He didnt recomend it. especially when resetting was 120 for both leaves.

My car is fucking so high at the front and the springs, when jacked up, are not captive, but only just, as in they can move round with force. I'm just gonna buy new shocks, get em shortened 3 inches and cut another coil off, cos that's the only real way to get it low, and compressing is worse

Guest WESTCORT

i can see why locky's are illegal i wouldnt want to drive very far with one of those in the rain... around surburban areas it wouldnt be so bad but out my way.. hell no! not unless your name ends in solberg or starts with marko martin

Yeah but how low are they?

My car is acid against being low. The back is finally boned after me resetting the leaves to their maximum amount, about 4 inches, but the front doesn't want a bar. I bet they'll be like kings and lower it about 30mm

Might have a nosie though :P

i can see why locky's are illegal i wouldnt want to drive very far with one of those in the rain... around surburban areas it wouldnt be so bad but out my way.. hell no! not unless your name ends in solberg or starts with marko martin

in actual fact you hardly notice a locker on the open road its just mainly round town when ya have to turn sharp and turn while goin slow eg parking thats a prick but ya do have to watch it in the wet. the first time i drove the corty in the rain i took off from the lights and soon as it came on cam it lit the tyres up and almost spun me round :oops:

They will make them as low are you want. I plan to take in my King Springs, and say "make a spring like this one but 30mm lower than this"

They will do anything.

I did the same kind of thing with standard springs but the first time it didnt lower it enough so I sent them back and they did them again came out good after that

Guest WESTCORT

in actual fact you hardly notice a locker on the open road its just mainly round town when ya have to turn sharp and turn while goin slow eg parking thats a prick but ya do have to watch it in the wet. the first time i drove the corty in the rain i took off from the lights and soon as it came on cam it lit the tyres up and almost spun me round :oops:

haha that would have been funny! ive heard a few stories of people cornering in the rain then when the cam kicked in they spun out, same with a rotor with a twin port

snells in penrose is good $400 +gst for a set of 4 coils custom made up to however low you want, you may have to take in your standard springs though ... and if your car has leave's at the back, take them to snells too, and they can flatten them out for ya, and even put an extra leaf in to stiffen them up a bit 8)

get some brand new shocks, then get them shortened, and you should have captive springs, making WOF's a breeze .