1600 Kent Pushie Questions

Mr.Mk1

Hey all,

Finally bought a 1600 for the scort, needs some rings, exhaust man/extractors and my 32 weber on manifold - $100.

Im pretty hard up and dont wanna go hard boring it n shit yet, but ive heard about putting 1300 pistons in the 1600s and it raises the compression ratio? Just happen to have a spare 1300 now and was wondering if its worth doing...

Mechanicals arent a prob and i can handle most things.

Do i have to swap the whole piston and connecting rod or can i get away with putting the piston on the 1600 rods (are they the same size in other words!)

Im sure ill come up with new questions so keep checkin back :o

yep it does up the compression ratio and fit them to the 1600 rods as the bore size stays the same but the stroke is different.

It depends what your after really 1300 pistons crack under the extra pressure ive seen much better gains from rebuilding the bottom end standard and focus the money on head work a good cam and re jet the carby is it a 711M block ?

I would definately say use the 1600 rods, they are about an inch longer than the 1300 ones.

I was going to do that but my 1300 pistons were oversize and just out of round (or so I was told) so make sure the 1300 pistons you use are the right size/good condition.

Yeah il'd have to agree with pushrod, I have going to do that to my 1600 but got put off it for some reason, can't remember why but i got my head worked and that will raise the compression, a good set of carbs (sidedraft if you can find/afford them), race cam and you got enough power for the street.

I re-ringed mine too

havn't stuck it back together yet but will let you know how it goes when it's done. should be bout 2 weeks and my esky will get born again!!!

If it's your first time rebuilding a kent engine a good book to read is tuning the kent crossflow engine i forget who its by but its got a whole lot of really good info on how to get the best out of your engine i got mine a few years ago from tech books in new market

Keep us posted on how the build goes :lol:

definatly use the 1600 rods man, youd be alot better off getting new oversized 1300 pistons and reboring the block. you can run double head gaskets to bring the compression slightly back down so you dont blow it to bits. the only differnce between the 1600 and 1300 pistons is the bowl size im told, so by having a smaller bowl it cranks the compression

• 1 month later...
Guest scort van man

wen i built my 1600 mexico engine i used the 1600 crank shaft with 1100 rodz an 1300 pistonz wich put it 2 1800 an it went f****n hard but i think the mexico blockz r different

• 4 months later...
Guest ol_skool_esky

my 1600 has the 1300 pistons in it..... but i'm really interested in the 1100 rods to make it an 1800.... that would save boring it out to 1800 either u culd do both and make it a 2ltr or jst make it an 1800!!!!! yeah is that actually possible to make it 1800 by doin that??? but i thort u could only make it 1800 by boring it out.... becuz the cc's r measured wen pistons are out and the four cyls equal 1600cc or wat ever.......

even if you did use the 1100 rods you're still gonna going to have to stroke the crank. ie, say the 1100 conrods are shorter, and you put them in, the cc rating will be the same. but if you stroked the crank then you would need new conrods anyway??

(im thinking of machinie the journals in the crank to give it strokage, then a conrod with a smaller big-end??. that or a whole new crang with a bigger stroke?? is someone able to confirm my theory before i confuse myself lol :? )

• 1 month later...

two_days_late wrote:

you can run double head gaskets to bring the compression slightly back down so you dont blow it to bits. the only differnce between the 1600 and 1300 pistons is the bowl size im told, so by having a smaller bowl it cranks the compression

How much compression can the standard 1300 pistons (not forged) reliably take anyway? about 11:1 ish??