Beavers Yamaha RD50

Beaver

Don't cafe it please. They're sufficiently rare and collectible to make it worth doing the final bits of sorting. Find something less collectible to modify.

I had a mint one through the workshop some years back. It had come with a big bore kit fitted and the jetting needed sorting. went well and still had the OE barrel with it. Owner brings it out for the big local runs.

• Like 5

I have ridden one of these a fair bit. Don't be scared of changing gears 82 times per kilometre. Especially into/out of corners and up hills. When I was at the bike shop we had a guy bring back the big brother (RZ50) after owning it a day because it 'wouldn't accelerate properly'. Turns out he would slow for roundabouts or corners and leave in 4th or 5th then wonder why it wouldn't accelerate out of them.

+1 on the tidying it up as is - Cafe racers are just discomfort disguised as 'cool factor'. But it's your bike at the end of the day. 

• Like 3

Was having intermittent headlight issues and the oil warning light would come on and off at the same time. Which was odd not only due to the timing but the fact I couldn't find any trace of an oil level sensor.... so I exposed a lot of the wiring and found a few gremlins (loose connections, bad crimps, suspect earth) so sorted all that out. In the process I confirmed that there isn't an oil warning system at all (must be a clock of a different bike) and that it's the high/low beam indicator light feeding that spot. Regardless, it all works as it should now.

Have also ordered some new tyres as the date stamps indicated 1980 and 2004.....so needed doing anyway, but I'm also chasing a shudder/wobble/chatter from what feels like the front end. I drains the forks and found not enough oil, so refilled those to spec as well - perhaps that may help also.

Ring ding ding 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, GregT said:

When the new tyres go on the wheels will be balanced. this should show up any out of round or noisy wheel bearings.

Do you mean that as in the tyre shop will balance them, or because the tyres are new they will be round? I'll be fitting them myself. Will be checking the bearings when the wheels are off as well 

1 hour ago, Beaver said:

Do you mean that as in the tyre shop will balance them, or because the tyres are new they will be round? I'll be fitting them myself. Will be checking the bearings when the wheels are off as well 

My SR741s had an impressive wobble from new, didn't balance them. Would probably be less tiring if I had...

2 hours ago, tortron said:

Turn bike upside down (or hang it from the rafters) 

Put zip ties on the forks and cut to length to mark the edge of the rim

Spin it and see how much difference in hop and wiggle there is

Lol fuck that ain't happening. Sounds like it's worth getting them fitted at a shop.