ThePog Builds a Caravan

ThePog

6 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

Much fizz for this. I have a project I want a student to do involving making a lightweight, low drag caravan. But they don't seem as excited by the prospect as me...

So you want a lightweight, low drag caravan for yourself then....?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ThePog said:

So you want a lightweight, low drag caravan for yourself then....?

I have no disposable income for such a venture at the moment (maybe 2024...). I'd like to design one for my folks as sleeping in the backseat/boot of a sedan seems like something you shouldn't do in retirement

• Like 2

Looks like you've hit a hot topic, 'cause I doodle heaps during boring meetings at work for my next project, a camping trailer. My thoughts are for the roof to flip 180, like a roof top tent, so the 'roof' forms the sleeping platform but you also have decent standing room in the bed of the trailer. Current plan is for an aluminium tube frame with ali panel infill but I need to ask the OS hive mind about adding a spool gun to my welder.

Anyway, following this like a hawk. Love the roof raising mech so far.

Yea there are so many potential layouts that pack down. We very nearly did it with a kindof accordion type structure but the sealing was probably going to be difficult with so many hinged seams. There were a couple of really great ideas that were stymied by lack of manufacturing capability in nz, and reluctance to take a punt on a rando chinese factory to make what we wanted.

I have not had a heap of time to carry on with this but there should be an update after the weekend...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sidewaysickness said:

At the same time? wow you are getting friendly with your clients.

I do like this design more than the original, I also did like the weird looks I was getting when towing it with a shitty e30

Maybe not that friendly yet....

This one is way smaller, lighter and lower profile for towing, but should have about the same usable floor area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When I was living in Oz they were building box trailers with this honeycomb kind of plastic stuff that looks similar to that stuff you have.

It was strong as shit and they were just gluing and pip riveting aluminum angle to the joins. I forget what it was called but could be a good weight saver and more resistant to denting?

I forget the name of it, but the camper trailer crowd were all over it