Networking q for the boffins

ThePog

Yea so i have modem router that services the house just fine.

I have a cat5 cable running from this to the shed and at the end of it a netgear modem running in (i think) bridge mode that takes the LAN and makes a second wifi signal for down in the shed.

This is all just fine.

I had a few old hard drives sitting around and decided to make a Nas with them using TrueNAS. It is pretty lol as it is 5 drives wedged in a sff machine and i have hot melt glued a second power supply in there to power the second set of drives. Its rough as fuck but works sweet.

This is also just fine, however it needs a wired connection as TrueNAS does not support wireless comms.

I want to put this setup somewhere out of the way that wont have a lan cable to it.

I think i can set up another router in bridge mode that takes the shed wifi and sends it via a cable to the TrueNAS machine...... Is this the case?

I have a Netgear D6200 that does not appear to have a bridge mode but i can install OpenWRT and get this functionality.

What do you reckon?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mark105 said:

You need a router that can be a wireless client and connect to the shed WIFI and provide network to whats cabled in to it. There is lots of different names for this 

OpenWRT will do this for you and this guide shows you how https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration

Beauty.

Altho both my spare routers dont have OpenWRT images :-(

I will try to find something suitable ta