Another modified wheel/hub thread

Pee Dubs

Yes I know there's a lot of threads and info already on the topic, and I've read many of them including the LVVC regs and guidance, but please bear with me to discuss my specific application.

My 504 has a narrow track rear axle (significantly narrower than the front track), so I'd like to increase wheel/tyre width and track. Hopefully this will give a more 'muscular' look, and give a bit more traction and rear stability (this is a road car, not a skid/drift weapon!). Obviously I'm going to need to modify the rear body panels so take this as given. So what is the best/easiest/cheapest way to get the extra width?

504 PCD is 4x140 which is a pretty wide pattern & pretty uncommon for finding suitable existing rims (although if you know of some I'm all ears!). So it's likely that I'll have to either widen the standard steels (heavy and won't look that great), get custom wheels made (expensive), or get adapters made to change the PCD to something more common and trawl the classifieds for suitable rims (lots of mucking around).

In the experience of those that have had a similar problem what would your advice be? Open to any solutions as long as they can be made legal without undue effort/money.

Cheers!

12 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Both widened stock steels and adapters will require certification to be legal. so that will cost some money. Probably both cheaper over all than custom wheels though.

Yes, I'm expecting that for any option a cert will be the only way I'll achieve it legally so kinda mentally factored that in already. Cheers

Just now, Alfashark said:

Swap for 505 rear end? Rear track is 1441mm on one of them vs 1331mm on a 504 based on what I googled for, so that's bought you 100mm straight off the bat - If it's compatible of course.

Actually have one in the back shed for exactly that purpose. Will still have the problem of finding nice 4x140 rims though...

8 minutes ago, Alfashark said:

Define nice...

61467d1412399062-sale-peugeot-505-gti-se

Those can look really nice with a machined face and a darker powder coating in the slots and the hollow part of the spokes.  Wouldn't look too out of place on a 504 either.

Metric tyre size needed though. $500 a corner I hear, if you can find them...

Get these and make some custom centre hubs. Should be reasonably easy for someone to make providing they find the right material. I was going to get them for the Citroen but it's probably a bit spendy for a daily driver whim.

Looking at this it may be as simple as just making up a new (bigger) retaining plate (the flat one 2nd from left) to fit 4 x 140. Then drilling or elongating the holes in the hub adapter (the black bit on the left) to let the wheel studs through.

99% of the retention of the hub adapter is through the retaining plate holding the centre of the hub adpater so you won't be losing any strength by elongating the holes in the hub adapter as long as the holes get no closer to the centre (which they won't because your PCD is bigger).