How to wire an electric fuel pump?

daveyc123

Doe's anybody have a definitive wiring  diagram for fitting an electric fuel pump? 
Its my first time getting involved with electrics and there are heaps of different wiring diagrams on the internet and I am now confused. If someone has a diagram and easy to follow guide it would be much appreciated!
its for vauxhall viva.

It depends on what you need in the circuit. The one I added to a car is just connected directly to a +12V feed that is live when the ignition is on.

They can be wired with relays and oil-pressure safety switches if you want that sort of thing.

I assume it is a fairly low-powered pump for a carburetor car?

• Like 1

All my elec fuel pumps ive always ran wiring direct from the battery.

And ran a relay to a seperate switch which i mount hidden under the dash or even seat.

This way it also acts as a kill switch for anti theft.

I can also shut the fuel off in an emergency if i want.

Or i can prime the fuel pressure before i crank the engine.  Etc.

Just means i have to manually turn the pump on and off everytime .

Used to have it on the ignition but if you get a sticky needle and seat and the carby starts to flood you kill the engine when tyou turn the pump off. By having if on a seperate wiring harness i can just turn off the pump and the engine keeps running, which emptys the fuel bowl.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 8ball said:

All my elec fuel pumps ive always ran wiring direct from the battery.

not trying to be an egg but that's neat way to tell the world / forum your cars 'features' (a few clicks & bet we could find what your cars look like in the projects section?

sure yea its nice to help but a little paranoia goes a long way eh :P

:P Rain check but one day maybe I'll come for a look!

but ya get the gist of it eh, some of us are pretty 'like' hungry & will share the most intimate details of their build . life on the internet without a second thought of the impact, i know because of some of the car projects I have detailed over the past 10 years, then again the car diary has saved me recently too after a buy thought I said it was one thing & turned out to be another, but i had it in writing from about 3 years earlier as the correct thing

/soz spam

but yea no getting power supply from a sensor is definitely not ideal

bit like headlights & the supplied diagram above, its own 'feed' is better, relays & fuses are betterer & yea something secret might even save your ride one day as they are still pretty easy to target & becoming more desirable these days for some reason & reasonably still easy to 'rebirth'