Steering rack spacing

Ash Kelly barr

Sooo I know a lot of guys on here having lowered cars.

I've lowered mine. Now my rack arms are at a silly angle and I'll be getting bump steer issues.

Has any spaced their rack up?

I've got 35-40mm before I start rubbing the sump witch would help the issue hugely. Has anyone made spacers for this?

Since the bushes sit on the cross member and I have brackets the sit over top and clump downward. I wound think the spacer top would need to be the same shape as the cross member to clamp the bush properly.

This mean something Drawn up in sold works and CNC'd, or a bracket made to the same shape as the cross member bush seat and then re-enforced to stop flex...???

Idk but any experience or input would be much appreciated

Can't just chuck a pair of RCAs in there?

Nah, that aligns the lower arms but doesn't sort the rack arm. My rack arm has gone from being facing down to facing up, this means when the outside wheel compresses I get more toe out on the outside wheels and less toe in on the inside wheel.

Drives well, but the balance between wheels is still some what uneven but as weight shifts I can feel the steering get harder and harder as weight shifts further and further.

That and it makes transitions more difficult as steering amount/feel is more dependent of weight transfer

Either need to space the rack ends (where it bolts the hub) down or to rise the whole rack.

End spacers would be more logical as if I space the rack up I've got to piss around with the U joint to the steering shaft witch I can't be fucked with

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an RCA goes between the strut and the steering arm moving both the lower arm and steering tierod down.

There made specifically to correct the problem you're taking about.

/Sure worked in my old Cressida at least.

• Like 2

The fact that the arms are on big angles is not quite as important as you may think, it is the relationship between the pivot points that is the important thing.

If you shift the rack up but dont change the bottom arm pivots, then you will more than likely make the bump steer a lot worse

is it all standard parts, just lowered?

• Like 2

Update.

Gonna put RCA's in.

Bit of a dah moment but I didn't realise the steering arm and ball joint mount are connected.

On my other cars they have been knuckle type where you run tie rod flip kit and extended lower ball joints.

Of corse on this you just space the whole steering arm and lower arm mount down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an RCA goes between the strut and the steering arm moving both the lower arm and steering tierod down.

There made specifically to correct the problem you're taking about.

/Sure worked in my old Cressida at least.

Yup correct I didn't realise this until some else mentioned it.