Lux's 1989 Hi-Ace

HighLUX

• 1 month later...

So pickapart listed a Hiace of the same series had just arrived in the yard, I need some new front panels as mine are chooched under the front bumper from eating curbs in carparks etc.

Turns out the ones on it were worse than mine but I did have these gems on it which I grabbed

svdnagbh.v0y.jpg

dtursjpl.uxw.jpg

Super mint and a bargain at $24 for the pair, although one is missing the strap that holds them to the door frame so Im on the lookout for a replacement.

Also I have a dancing flower and a waving cat on the dash just coz

utlqq5wv.hz0.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Previous owner said it had an oil leak from the sump gasket which had managed to get oil all through the engine bay, I took a gamble that the sump seal is fine and it was the main seal that was the culprit and flicking it everywhere so took it to bits.

Getting the radiator out was a cunt due to the mount setup but one it was out of the way getting the front of the engine off was easy except for cracking the crank pulley bolt

Gross and oil everywhere

qytlcbeu.eso.jpg

hmlx41ui.jy4.jpg

Winner winner chicken dinner! The seal was hard and worn out with little to no contact with the crank pulley to hold the oil back

Got the front cover off and replaced the seal then gave the enginebay a hell of a degrease

cexls50g.ebv.jpg

I wasnt sure if the EFI manifold was going to fit the engine bay/clear the seat but a rough line up where it would sit and measuring the most forward high point on its roughly the same dimensions as the current carb and manifold, only bit that might be difficult is air intake off the throttle body needing a 90 degree bend coming straight off it

02ewkdwc.tpv.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hopefully toyota lego will work in my favor and thinner engine mount rubbers without the steel cup on them will drop it down enough to clear where it needs too otherwise iv got a couple of ideas if that fails.

So much for a straightfoward swap over though 

• 2 months later...

Been chipping away at making the EFI fit by using Raisers idea to remote mount the throttle body 90 degrees backwards and down a bit where there is more room . No pics of that because its not alot to look at ATM

Decided to see if the big disks/calipers off a 90s supercustom that I had hoarded would on to give the old heap a bit more stopping power.

Factory disk setup VS supercustom hub etc

IMG_03581_zps9yuzj1hn.jpg

378b32b9-66f0-4cc9-84e4-3563313b30e9_zps

Cleared the rim fine and the whole lot swapped straight onto the original balljoints with only needing the steering arm off the hubs swapped as they are slightly different making the alignment out. Supercustom brake hose swapped straight over too

IMG_03571_zpsuyw8fkqs.jpg

Basically a bolt on conversion with only the steering arm swap.

Its probably overkill but you can never have brakes that are too good, especially in a van with no frontal protection and you need to stop in a hurry.

The swaybars are the same too and come in 3 different sizes depending on the van/age 25-27-29mm. My van only has a 25mm so have been given a 27mm one from a 90s hiace that I will swap on when new D bushes turn up. 

All round should be a good handling/stopping upgrade to the front end

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Supercustom brakes are on and working lush. It certainly grabs alot harder in the front now, bit more pedal travel but il try adjust it out if I can be fucked being a contortionist one day and getting under the dash.

Swaybar upgrade wont fit straight on as it fouls steering link which is gay.

Put the EFI conversion on hold for now and swapped on a non emissions spec carb from. NZDM hiace and after alot of fucking round it works good/a smaller bag of dicks than the yuck emissions carb.

Time to get camper setup assembled 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

YH51 Supercustom turned up at the lowcal PaP so I grabbed the seat rails from it and found a set of Recaros lurking in a Bighorn

A bit of flat bar, some average welding and fabrication 

So much comfier and they dont look too out of place

IMG_0472.JPG

• Like 8