Braided fuel lines/electric fuel pump

Monsta01

Hi guys looking for advice, at the drag day before xmas last year when it got really hot my car stalled after the runs, it has since done it to me once or twice sitting in traffic then going to take off, im thinking that it is vapour lock so want to go from my medhanical pump and fuel lines running close to engine to electric pump and braided fuel lines in the hope to keep heat away a bit, what is your guys edperience with stuff like this? The car and engine is a datsun 160j with an l16 so its twin dhla carbs with aftermarket extractors (not wrapped) non crossflow cheers for any help

Beaver is onto it.

It's a common L-series (6 & 4) issue, the factory manifolds have heat shields for both carb and EFi, yet when people upgrade their fuel and air, introducing more heat, they often remove said shield.

Solutions:

1. A basic heat shield between the headers and the intake and carburettors (you can buy fancy aftermarket baller shields for the 6)

2. Header wrap

3. Header coating

4. A combination of 1 and 2/3.

Unless your fuel lines are closer than the carbs, it's more likely to be boiling in the carbs before the lines would be affected. You could try some basic reflective heat shielding on the fuel lines first before committing to braided lines. TBH, I don't think you need braided lines.

• Like 2

Wrap exhaust with this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNIVERSAL-TURBO-WRAP-HEAT-SHIELD-TURBOCHARGER-COVER-WRAP/1871678780.html

And stick this on bottom of carbs / fuel lines / heat shield

(making a heat shield that has an air gap to both the carbs and exhaust is best idea)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-EPMAN-2-x5-Meter-Roll-SELF-ADHESIVE-REFLECT-A-GOLD-HEAT-WRAP-BARRIER-Hot/32403580701.html

The gold reflective stuff has the glue turn to mush if you get fuel on it though.
That heat wrap is infinity billion times better than the normal fibreglass stuff. 

Made a big difference to engine bay temps in my car.
I havent tested conclusively about the Gold sticker stuff, but other people have used it to stop their bonnets melting or whatever when very close to a very hot turbo.

• Like 1

I understand it is getting hot in the float bowls also and getting a heat shield is something im working on, i kind of want to go electric fuel pump just so i can rid the mechanical pump from the engine bay but do you guys not think its worth it? Cheers

Does your existing setup run a return line back to the tank, or does the fuel just sit in the carbs heating up?

If you dont have a return line, then that's probably a good thing to setup if it's possible with your setup.

I would *guess* that this would make more difference to fuel heat than switching to electric pump.