new school question - removing superglue from car paint

BlownCorona

quick question, 

i have just bought an altezza wagon and some dim previous owner had super glued Lexus bagdes over the tailgate and i would really like that gone as its just looks dumb with both toyota and lexus branding .

ive gotten the badges off no problem, but there is now a lexus shaped superglue stain, anyone had experience with getting this shit off? 

ufzerjjl.yhs.jpg

y001hd0e.mdt.jpg

i have a nice flat black TRD badge that i will probably put on the side and can cover up most of the 'lexus' badge glue but even this wont cover it all, and the central 'L' logo i would much prefer to be clean, though i could just put a toyota logo on there if i have to, 

i dont KNOW the answer, but i'd be trying crc myself, and move to brake clean if that didnt work, and then some strange glue remover i found with lots of benzene. Not sure those last 2 are a good idea, but crc is pretty safe on paint last time i tried and was actually quite effective at removing sticky stuff

• Like 1

Just start with a mild solvent like wax and grease remover and move to more aggressive if you need. Common single part super glue melts pretty easy.

Acetone is fairly serious and will damage/stain some paint so start mild and your your way up. The clear on those is pretty hearty and should be fine though, a clay bar lubed with wax and grease can do wonders for the last stubborn bits.

• Like 1

Yeah you need to let the acetone soak into the glue a minute, should soften up and just wipe straight off without hurting the clear coat, BUT that's just based on my experience.

I used some cheap nail polish remover to funnily enough remove a Lexus badge from a silver Altezza.

stole the missus' nail polish remover and q tips and had another go. definitely softens it up and apears to not harm the clear, but not to the point of being able to wipe it away, possibly not enough acetone concentration, but looks promising for being possible to remove.

keeps the ideas rolling if youve had success with a certain product. 

Sweet good work. The solvents in nail polish are usually acetone or even isopropyl and usually pretty mild. Wax and grease remover will do the same thing with a much lower cost per litre.

Pretty much if things wont come off paint after trying soap then you move from mildest solvent through to stronger ones, clay bar can also be a life saver to mechanically remove contaminants. There is no other magic products for the job, just soaps, solvents and mechanically removing it. Other cleaning products may use acids or abrasives but you don't want these near paint obviously.

Probably will end up spending $50 in materiel to get it right imo, rather take it to a local pro or so, ask them, they will do it so good... okay sounds sexual..but trust me, any kind of badging work on older cars, you are better off with a pro car panel paint guy, not a expensive shop but a local guy. speaking from experience..

this is the only picture i have at the moment, got the 'lexus' badge glue all off and looking pretty good, and applied the TRD badge 

kttb4243.qg4.jpg

the "L" circular badge glue is also all off and looking about 95% good, i think i could clean it up to 100% with some heavier cut polish, but im considering putting a flat black toyota logo in its place, in which case you wouldnt see it anyway