ELEVNS 1991 Nissan 200sx of Drift hate and restomod steez

ELEVNS

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, a bit of history on this thing.

Bought it about 4 years ago sight unseen from a DJ in Dunedin, organised to meet him in Wellington to finalise details, and drive it up to Auckland!

As I was boarding a flight to wellington I received a call saying the car had run a big end by Blenheim, apparently because the turbo seals had gone and shat most of the oil out the exhaust! not fun. Results below:

1447819870777-1868516874_zps3cx7kqia.jpg

Weldy weldy.

Towed it to Auckland, where the donk was removed and sat in a sorry state while the engine was slowly pieced back together with a new crank, forged H-beam rods, forged pistons and s15 t28.

20131127_191604_zpsev0gshwr.jpg

After too long the mighty CA went back in the hole, a little shinier.

20140201_153822_zpsfriinzk0.jpg

essentially, it had a whole metric shit-ton of teething issues, rust in the fuel tank clogging the vr4 injectors, bad tune, awful looking engine bay. Over the next couple of years, I tweaked it here and there, re-sealing the fuel tank (not fun!) new injectors, tune, new turbo, new cams, cam gears, and so on and so forth.

It went from this:

20140922_213439_zpsxgiu7jbl.jpg

to this:

20150718_144009_zpsytbfnj2s.jpg

Now with a fan shroud. (sorry for big pics, will work on it)

Specs as of right now:

CA18det (forged) standard crank

Balanced/ matched rotating assembly

269/8.7mm cosworth grind cams,

Garrett GTX2863r

Turbosmart 38mm wastegate

Parts shop max Hi-mount intercooler

1000cc Deatschwerks injectors

320lph deatschwerks fuel pump

Tomei FPR

All engine paint + cam cover etc done by me. 

Catch can by C's garage.

Estimated 220kw atw.( no dyno yet!)

So now my dilemma is whether to go to a link ECU or stick to the standard CA ecu which can barely keep up with my injectors ( 8 bit lyf!)

• Like 6

Nah mate, lots of split wrap loom spaghetti is the look to go for these days :D

Nice car, S13 can pull off the look with the older wheels pretty well without seeming like a tacky throwback sort of thing as it might do on something a bit newer.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. 

I just ordered allot off similar parts too you inc the same breather fittings. The GTX 63 and 67 sound like sweet turbo's for CA's. 

I'm thinking off purchasing a 'power FC' ECU, I'm just not sure if they are to dated now. Will phone STM tomorrow to see what they recommend. 

SLURP 

Looking good. 

I just ordered allot off similar parts too you inc the same breather fittings. The GTX 63 and 67 sound like sweet turbo's for CA's. 

I'm thinking off purchasing a 'power FC' ECU, I'm just not sure if they are to dated now. Will phone STM tomorrow to see what they recommend. 

SLURP 

Tuners are getting less likely to tune these is what ive heard,

Go Link tbh.

Old, outdated etc.

We get a few Rx7s coming through work with them and there's pretty much the one guy who will tune them

modern ECUS just have so much more ability and support. 

Im sure there is a bunch of people who will argue road tune - do it yourself - all you need is this - MS this and that etc etc etc  but for me, the support, features, accessibility to well respected tuners who know their way around Links and high level tuning will win out. 

It's good info for all.

I'm no expert but we do deal with ECUs and tuning at work on occasion and these are some basic points I know.

Plug and play is simple and easy but because it plugs into a stock loom you don't always get the extra inputs and outputs of a wire in ECU.

A tunable ECU is good to support modifications obviously but what's the point if you can't have it tuned to maximise the potential of your upgrades or can only get it kinda right through limited knowledge and road tuning. (yes, Some can get a pretty decent tune on the road,)

If you know your way around the engine and its components then a wire in is not that hard. You're going with a common enough engine that any issues should be resolved with a quick google.

The upside to a wire in is that if you change your engine (this is your third ? :) ) you can keep the ECU and just buy another loom or your old one may work if the wires are still long enough to reuse.

Yeah fair points. and I do agree. 

The one I was offered for $850AU was Ca18 specific new in box 'Power FC' with controller. It looks like you need to spend around $2500 for a turbo link settup, but if the link reducers tuners time required playing with the 'Power FC' might be false economy. Either way I way I will deff be paying for a proper dyno tune, I'm good at making electrical fires and that's about it. 

I will google tuners and quickly ask them tomorro what they would prefer, I'm almost certain they will just say the latest what ever is popular tho.

I should probably check the condition off the old wires too actually.  

Edit, Looks like the storm can run turbo motors, I thought they only did NA motors but I is wrong.