megasquirt questions

BlownCorona

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When on the output is high when off they are low. If you have spark inverted = yes they should be off when not cranking and flicker when cranking. When spark inverted = no they will be on with ign and flicker off when cranking. Turn irq trigger off once youve finished with it dunno but it may be your problem. Set it to warm up or what ever option you get mighy be acc enrichment.

• 1 month later...

right well its been a very busy few months with the corona doing nothing but gather dust, but im finally back out in the garage trying to get this ignition system sorted.

after double checking all the wiring i tried another igniter and i have spark on both a & b and the igniter doesn't get warm anymore, so thats sorted. however the sparking isnt all that consistent, some moments it was alternate perfecty, then suddenly change to just eraticly sparking on one side or the other and sometimes back to nice alternating etc. and i cant get much more than a random fire here and there from the engine. 

im not sure if the eratic sparking is simply due to the low cranking speeds etc? 

i have no real idea why it wont just work nicely, all the ingredients are there

seems like all the knowledgeable people on this topic are away on holiday! nice! 

for sake of a complete timeline ill keep talking to myself, when i had my trigger wheel cut out the shop gave me a second one for free/incase there was a cutting error. so ive decided i have nothing to loose in trying this idea. 

ive not been able to find any reliable info about running a primary trigger at cam speed, so i have no idea if this is my problem or not. so ive taken the spare trigger wheel that fits into my dizzy and ground off the opposite tooth to the already missing tooth, so that not when configured at a crank trigger, it will spare to be a 6-1 wheel when spinning at cam speed. i know this wont give vey good resolution, however if it turns out this was the issue i can then work on redesigning the trigger assembly. considering it ran well with just the 4 trigger points from the points, it should still run fine and prove a theory at least. 

it does sound like a timing issue , so if you cant program it through the ecu (I am sure its possible but not something I have played with) so a mechanical fix could be worth a try ..... do you have a few sets of sparkplugs (good 2nd hand is fine) on hand ? if the spark isn't doing its thing they get fueled up and wont fire till they dry out , which could be adding to not starting too ?

I may have missed it, I do remember down trail saying that since my 12-1 wheel would be spinning at cam speed it would be as effective as a 6-1. I don't think anyone questioned the primary cam trigger because of that guys Datsun 1200, but he's running a MS3 so perhaps the MS1 can't do primary cam sensor.

Either way I'm extremely grateful to you guys for all your help! Now all I need to do is tidy some wiring, give it a wash and get a wof!

Jeah!

• Like 1

OK you will need to set dual dizzy to yes as the ms1 assumes that your wheel is on the crank (so it thinks the motor is going half as fast as it actually is). Thats what I was saying about having a 24 tooth wheel with 2 mssing teeth 180 deg apart. You can set your trigger returns to 0's and use time based crank timing. Unless your absolutely sure of the wheel decoder settings. 

Rookie you were right, just saw this post from downtrail that i totally missed, telling me to set dual dizzy to ON which i didnt do. 

ill tidy everything up under the current running configuration and decide if it warrants me going back to the 12-1 wheel. i fell dumb, however my car is running so i couldn't be happier 

• Like 1

Check you timing is 90deg out on spark b i dont think it will be as 4÷6 is not a whole number so the wheel decoder wont be working the way it should be. The wheel needs to be in multiples of how many cylinders you have ie 4 8 12 16 20 24 28 32 36 etc. For a 4 cylinder

Cool sorry mind blank yes that is ok as they are 180 deg out at cam so youll get 90 deg crank. As you were. Also to note ive recently run one of those cherry sensors with smaller teeth than the data sheet. Had 4mm gap and 3mm teeth. So could be an option if you need more resolution

• 4 months later...

im currently fitting an electric fuel pump and have everything wired up through a relay etc. hosed up etc. runs great when hooking power up to the relay. i could plug it into a 12v switch source and be done with it with little problem other than in an accident it could keep pumping fuel, so since that sounds not very fun id like to make use of the ECU some more and wire it up. 

i thought it was going to be super easy, wire the earth of the coil to pin 37 and call it a day but no joy. 

when wired like this, connected straight to the battery, the fuel pump runs with the key in "off" so pin 37 must be grounded. then when i switch to "on" the pump stops instantly, so pin 37 must un ground, and no sign of the short priming burst that should be there. 

and when i start the car (some fuel still in the carbs) the pump doesn't turn on like it should when the ECU sees rotation. 

any ideas whats going on? ive read some posts that say the transistor could be faulty but not much else online