td42 overheating

DoBro Jesus

So the fucking safari I have, overheated this morning on the way back from dropping the woman off at the airport, has been sweet as and was driving around all day yesterday and everything but then this happens this morning, pulled over and coolant is fucking pissing from the overflow bottle, radiator wasnt leaking though, so let it cool down and filled it up with more coolant. 2 minutes later it does the exact same thing, luckily I managed to get it home!

Is there any weak points on these motors cooling wise? I'm hoping its just a stuck thermostat! But there doesn't look to be any water in the oil and all the frost plugs are dry. Water pump maybe? I just need to get it fixed ASAP as I go back to work tomorrow!

I have no experience with a TD42 but here are some general suggestions:

I'd start by removing the thermostat. As a temporary solution to get you to and from work.

The water pump is worth checking too. Perhaps the impeller has corroded or broken its fins and is no longer pumping properly.

As with any diesel, the cooling system is very important so if you haven't renewed the coolant/hoses/thermostat etc and flushed both the radiator and the block then that needs to be done. All my diesels with astronomical milages last for ages mainly because of the cooling system being in good condition. Most diesel overheating/head gasket/head warping issues stem from a cooling system that has been neglected.

Being a diesel, an EGT gauge is probably a wise investment too.

• Like 1

Well luckily having dropped the missus at the airport means I have her car for the week but I had almost a full tank of deez so didnt wanna have to fuel another car haha, sadly I have no service history on it, drove to Tauranga and back last week and it ran sweet apart from getting pretty warm on the kaimais so maybe that's what's led to it doing this. Will start ripping into it after I get up, it does over fuel a fair bit so that could be another part to play :/

Yeah get that cooling system apart, unblock the radiator (I bet it's partially clogged), replace all the hoses etc, renew everything and whack it all back together. It's probably the thermostat due to it happening suddenly. Sadly many diesels in this country are hardly maintained. People just put fuel in them and change the oil now and again and off they go. The cooling system is vital.

The previous post pretty much covers every thing I would do

The thermostat should be closed when you pull it out drop it in a pot of boiling water and it should open up and close after you take it back out if that works ok you can throw it back n the engine

Next I would be taking radiator out and get it cleaned

I wouldn't worry too much the td42 is an incredibly stout engine and its pretty hard to fuck (I guess) because its iron head.

I left the radiator cap off mine and drove 50km before it got so hot it siezed.

Waited for it to cool, filled with water, replaced cap...she went great afterward LOL

So ripped the thermostat out (was extremely stuck in there haha) it opened when I pressed on it but I did the whole boil a pot of water trick, is a 82° thermo, I don't have a thermometer but it doesn't matter cause the water boiled and it still didn't open so I'm taking that its the culprit? Haha