J5's shitty 4AGE buggy.

johnnyfive

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a bunch of things confused and scared me looking at it first. The radiator/top hoses point to the back of the pilots head. 

Weld (badly) some sheet in as a poor burn shield/firewall.  I've already popped a radiator hose off since then, so I consider this a success. 

IMG_20141229_141245.jpg

One spoke of steering wheel was broken/cable tied on from the word go, so have replaced that too. 

IMG_20141229_141252.jpg

• Like 1

Words can't describe the handling experience. I have some bits of footage that might demonstrate the wheels not really adhering to the ground very well.

I am not sure on what the best suspension would be for a vehicle like this. But currently it has some automotive coil overs with no damping left, and a spring rate of 200units of something. 

The 4AGE makes a lot of smoke, most of the time, but the oil is overfilled by a lot, so I'm hoping that problem will remedy itself. 

But yeah, haven't done the conversion, but I'd assume that 26' diameter tyre is close to factory Corolla tire size. So theoretical top speed is ? (way too much?)

• Like 4

Oh yeah, so the pedals were very close together and at different heights. Made things difficult, With Greers help have mostly sorted that. Welded (badly) some bits of steel to try and beef up the rear strut mountings. Will get photos of the unusual rear suspension arrangement soon. Bits of it are broken as we speak. 

Oh and the alloy sheet floor peeled off from the front backwards. 

• Like 1

Harder springs and shocks that work would be a start.

Would be easy to make the front double wishbone by adding an upper control arm.

Not enough space in rear so some sort of long trailing arm stz. Or maybe there is enough, hard to see.

Then get some long like 10-12 inch stroke shocks and springs and you're away.

I'm gonna contradict my last post and say that I don't wanna spend any money also.

Will get some pictures tomorrow of the rear suspension, has what I assume are Corolla front lower control arms, mounted backwards like trailing arms, with a cut and shut 90degree rotate and extension on the hub end. 

I don't have words for it basically.