Dent pulling advice for novice

theasset13

Hi everyone,

Working on my project Mk2 Capri. It has some fairly large dents in the front drivers side guard & drivers door.

I'm pretty new to panel beating. My experience is limited to a night school restoration course where I learned how to gas weld, basic file & dolly techniques & use of equipment such as an english wheel. I still feel pretty green about the topic though.

I was wondering if someone could offer some advice on hammering out my guard.

How it looks:

20141027_120221_zps84fb857b.jpg

I tried to follow the "Fairmount" method & concentrated on the directly damaged area near the top where it's rusted. So far though when I work on the ridge it seems to be smoothing it out but it's also pushing the ridge away from where I work in a downwards direction, like a wave. I'm concerned that if I carry on like this I will distort the panel & ruin the body line you can see 3/4 up the guard. I am wondering if the dent is too big for a hammer & dolly & if I should use a stud welder/hammer to pull out the dent first before using the hammer & dolly? Studs could be placed like so (red dots):

20141027_120235_reddot_zpsc0c37921.jpg

Is this sensible or am I talking out of my rear? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Man, that will be stretched to all buggery, there is nothing you can do that will look half legit at home. Get it as good as you can and take it to a panel shop and use the shrinker.

Actually you should take it to a panel beater and ask him what his opinion is, because without seeing it in person we are likely to give you shitty advice.

Get your wide coal chisel out or similar blunt wide object

Take the guard off, stick it in that swage line from the inside an give it the beat till its straight.

Guessung you will end up with a straightish swage and a dent either side that would need shrinking then.

Shitty advise really be either better or completely rooted haha

• Like 1

I'd take it back to steel first and get in behind it with a portapower with a spreader and get the shape kinda ok before dollying it. Then shrink the shit out of it with gas afterwards. I assume the guard is welded on

I'm intrigued as to how the spreader will push the dent out? I thought the spreader was like two hands together that spread out?

Yeah I do so much panelbeating with 4"x2" blocks of wood. So much more forgiving. I'd put some wood on the inside of that guard above or below the swage line and push out on it. You can bash/pull that thing all you like but you'll struggle to get the top corner and the door shut lines back in line

• Like 1