Paulluap's 1984 Laser S turbo discussion

0R10N

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the head unit take iPod or Bluetooth input? Such a wicked stealth install.

Bring it to Nats :-)

Hi Bluetooth , Ipod and MP3s not around when I brought headunit ,CDs were only new LOL.

It is now 19years old.It has a motorized fold down front where you put cassette tapes in(Not that I use tapes any more). I have tapped into the DSP unit RCAs and can plug Ipod,phone etc into that.

I need to fix motor before I go anywhere to far.Head gasket not good.Going for a cruise with Nelson group tomorrow ,looking forward to that but will have tow rope handy. :-)

• Like 2

I need to fix motor before I go anywhere to far.Head gasket not good.Going for a cruise with Nelson group tomorrow ,looking forward to that but will have tow rope handy. :-)

That's unfortunate.

E5Ts also have a tendency to crack ringlands when the boost pressure is increased (cylinder 3 is notorious for it, for some strange reason it always runs leaner than the others) and they often exhibit similar symptoms to a BHG, so hopefully it's not that.

That's unfortunate.

E5Ts also have a tendency to crack ringlands when the boost pressure is increased (cylinder 3 is notorious for it, for some strange reason it always runs leaner than the others) and they often exhibit similar symptoms to a BHG, so hopefully it's not that.

I was going to pull apart over winter but was busy getting stereo ready for last weekends sound off in Nelson.

Back in 1997 I had the motor done up,cant remember exactly what we did but had the camshaft worked a little.Valve seals and few other bits.After it was done I was loosing a cup of water,after a couple of months we pulled apart again and the mono head gasket was leaking all down the back.Put a normal HG on and got ten years out of it(boost was set at 10 PSI and told not to go over that but as time went on,other cars getting faster boost ended up on 15PSI :) ).

While thrashing it on my way to work one day it went pop,heaps of smoke out the back,thought turbo had gone.I pulled apart to find HG blown,not sure if anything else was wrong so I just got another HG and put on.Loosing water still but that was 7 years ago.So I have been driving it nicely hoping it will last till next winter.What is the ringlands?Is it part of the rings or on the block.

What front speakers are you running?

I have MB Quarts in the front. Model PSC316    6.5 inch in kick panel ,4 inch and 25mm tweeters on the doors.I use to buy Car Stereo Mags from US and Australia, I picked all my gear from looking at who was winning shows and also reviews.

• Like 1

That's unfortunate.

#3 cylinder on a straight 4cyl is often the first to blow up.

Depending on coolant flow #4 cylinder is the last to get coolant, but #3 is sandwiched between 2 other cylinders smashing out lots of heat.

So it naturally runs the hottest and is first to say YEAH NAH.

• 2 weeks later...

Far out, that stereo install is amazing. That it includes all those features while remaining usable is impressive. Has that install been in the car since 2001? If so it's impressive that it still operates so smoothly.

It looks like a 'factory' motorized stealth install. Have you done any other projects (not necessarily car related)? I'm OS would love to see them if so....

Thanks, I installed the stereo from 1995 to 1999 took all that time build and save the money for the audio gear.

I have just rebuilt the sub box opener and motorised head unit part as the other one had worn out after 18 years.

It was only kitchen draw runners and a kids toy car gear box.

Yes I have done other projects, my latest is a motorised spa pool lid lifter because I was sick of opening and shutting the lid in the cold.

I will upload a video soon to my you tube channel.

other projects - an over the top irrigation system, made my own motorised projector screen,

my door bell uses an mp3 player so you can put anything you want on it, example songs, starwars intro, barking dog, tarzan yell - its just random what you get.

I've always wanted to get a bus but I'm not allowed, imagine the audio system I could put in that.

Cheers

Hey Wildcat

Here is a link to my latest project 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...