Paulluap's 1984 Laser S turbo discussion

0R10N

Original thread.

Great work with the stereo install, I'd love to see more photos of the rest of the car as well.

A pity it doesn't have the factory Recaro interior. How many km on the clock?

I suppose you already know these were originally only ever sold in Japan and are extremely rare.

Huge foamer for these things. When I was younger I had a BD Familia XG turbo (the Mazda equivalent) in black, but it was a total dog and had been questionably modified by a string of previous owners - it blew up spectacularly not long after I bought it. So I scrapped it, ended up with a Laser TX3 4WD turbo instead, and have spent the last 12 years wishing I could find a tidy Laser S turbo to squirrel away.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This car is freaking excellent, although not the same I had some serious fun screaming around in an NZ new twincarb Laser S when I was younger.

Mind blown when the OG tape player gave birth to that Clarion, far too excellent.

Really really nice attention to detail.

• Like 1

Great stereo install mate , there's a link on here referring to using a V6 mazda motor in these that fits with not too much work . I'd post it but admin got grumpy for some reason and locked it

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/42130-fail-on-restricted-with-out-even-driving/ have a read thru and look at the autospeed link the car looks just like yours but re powered with the V6

Again your stereo work looks great

• Like 1

I assumed the switches in the centre console controlled all of the stuff like the motors (and perhaps other things like boost control).

Great stereo install mate , there's a link on here referring to using a V6 mazda motor in these that fits with not too much work . I'd post it but admin got grumpy for some reason and locked it
//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/42130-fail-on-restricted-with-out-even-driving/ have a read thru and look at the autospeed link the car looks just like yours but re powered with the V6
Again your stereo work looks great

That's actually a 2nd generation Laser, however the engine mounting points between the 1st and 2nd generation don't differ all that much.

If it was my choice, I would stick with the good old 1500cc turbo engine, but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Original thread.

Great work with the stereo install, I'd love to see more photos of the rest of the car as well.

A pity it doesn't have the factory Recaro interior. How many km on the clock?

I suppose you already know these were originally only ever sold in Japan and are extremely rare.

Huge foamer for these things. When I was younger I had a BD Familia XG turbo (the Mazda equivalent) in black, but it was a total dog and had been questionably modified by a string of previous owners - it blew up spectacularly not long after I bought it. So I scrapped it, ended up with a Laser TX3 4WD turbo instead, and have spent the last 12 years wishing I could find a tidy Laser S turbo to squirrel away.

Hi, just been browsing Old School Forum's and found this thread.  Thanks for the comments,

I will add some more photo's - do I add them to this thread or do I add them to the original thread (I'm new to all of this)

The car has about 230,000 kms on the clock, I only just recently found out these where only sold in Japan do you know how many where actually made?

I brought a spare one from ChCh for parts, I kept everything except the body and the fuel tank (maybe I should have kept it all)

Cheers

Man.. That is one of the more impressive (and surprising!) things I have ever seen!

I was completely 100% expecting a shit car with a washing machine on the roof or something

Thanks, I'm still laughing every time I read your comment about the washing machine on the roof :-)

• Like 1

Did you ever enter any competitions back in the CANZE days? Would be interested to hear how you scored, SPL etc.

Hi, yes back in 2001 I entered my first CANZE show in ChCh and got a 138.6db.  The gear was all pretty new then and I didn't want to blow it up so I didn't push it any harder.  

Last year I entered Sounds Alive in Nelson and got a 136.db but my speakers shreaded because the foam was stuffed (they are 15 years old)

Last weekend I entered Sounds Alive again with the re-foamed speakers and pushed them hard and managed a 140.4db (now I get the sticker 140+db club) :-)

This car is freaking excellent, although not the same I had some serious fun screaming around in an NZ new twincarb Laser S when I was younger.

Mind blown when the OG tape player gave birth to that Clarion, far too excellent.

Really really nice attention to detail.

My friend brought a Ford Laser 1.5 twin carb 1985 back in the day and thrashed the crap out of it, like he does with all of this cars

and I thought if that motor can take that much punishment then I'm going to get one of those - mine just happened to be a turbo.

Thanks for your comment, it cracks me up.

Cheers

That is amazing!

Just showed the video to the Missus, should've seen her face when the rear seat starting moving  :-D

What do all the switches in the center console do?

The three switches on the left on the front console (which flips around) control the sub box (open and shut), the CD stacker (up and down) and the seats (open and shut).  There is also three switches under the hatch when you lift it up which do the same.  The four switches on the right of the front console turn the four amps on and off (2 subs / 2 subs / 6" and 4" front / tweeters and rears)  

The silver buttons down the middle where going to be so I could set different boost pressures, but never got that far

Cheers

Far out, that stereo install is amazing. That it includes all those features while remaining usable is impressive. Has that install been in the car since 2001? If so it's impressive that it still operates so smoothly.

It looks like a 'factory' motorized stealth install. Have you done any other projects (not necessarily car related)? I'm OS would love to see them if so....

Far out, that stereo install is amazing. That it includes all those features while remaining usable is impressive. Has that install been in the car since 2001? If so it's impressive that it still operates so smoothly.

It looks like a 'factory' motorized stealth install. Have you done any other projects (not necessarily car related)? I'm OS would love to see them if so....

Thanks, I installed the stereo from 1995 to 1999 took all that time build and save the money for the audio gear.

I have just rebuilt the sub box opener and motorised head unit part as the other one had worn out after 18 years.

It was only kitchen draw runners and a kids toy car gear box.

Yes I have done other projects, my latest is a motorised spa pool lid lifter because I was sick of opening and shutting the lid in the cold.

I will upload a video soon to my you tube channel.

other projects - an over the top irrigation system, made my own motorised projector screen,

my door bell uses an mp3 player so you can put anything you want on it, example songs, starwars intro, barking dog, tarzan yell - its just random what you get.

I've always wanted to get a bus but I'm not allowed, imagine the audio system I could put in that.

Cheers 

• Like 3

I will add some more photo's - do I add them to this thread or do I add them to the original thread (I'm new to all of this)

The car has about 230,000 kms on the clock, I only just recently found out these where only sold in Japan do you know how many where actually made?

I brought a spare one from ChCh for parts, I kept everything except the body and the fuel tank (maybe I should have kept it all)

Cheers

Best to add photos to your original thread.

I used to have the production numbers somewhere, but they're now lost to the ages. From memory only about 1500 units of the turbo model were built between 1983 and 1985, and a small fraction of those had the Recaro interior.

oYQbezr.jpg

Hey Thanks

I have added more photos to original thread and another video with more details of install.

There was another laser like mine in Nelson long ago, and it looked the same as your picture with the same gold mags.

Don't know what happened to it.