SOHCs wood gas project.

SOHC

This idea has been around since internal combustion engines have been around, it was the only alternative fuel to ever completely replace petrol during WW2, I am having a crack at making a system, I need to find an oldish car to fit it to, something with a 4 or 6 cylinder with a distributor and carb and a manual transition, the older the better. 

I have mostly finished the generator and cyclone filter, water trap/cooler, I have another big cylinder I am going to make a filter witch uses dry grass/ wood shavings for a partial filter

woodgasgen002_zps0ac4bc88.jpg

woodgasgen003_zpsd97ac4b4.jpg

woodgasgen001_zps41360271.jpg

woodgasgen004_zps945d7a3c.jpg

gascooler_zpsd675921c.jpg

This is how it would look fitted to a car

Puukaasutin-nettijpg_zps10347070.jpg

woodgasgen005_zps9a422c9c.jpg

I have to make a lot of air tight hatches for cleaning etc. the fitting on the right is the shaker, I can put a spanner on that and rock the ash grate. 

• Like 9

I am building the more completed Imbert system as it has a bit more control, you see alot of crappy down draft versions around as they are pretty simple to make but are hard to control.

I am building a Swedish V heath system where the build up of ash protects the metal hearth from the oxygen, my plan was to install it on my old Volvo not for road use just for a bit of funn  

1846_woodgas_zps2ca67c80.gif

UralZIS3522_zps8b95d04d.png

Imbert_Holzvergaser_zps876d595f.jpg

• Like 3

gengasskiss_zps9e574250.gif

I have gathered alot of info I can't post it all, I was given the Volvo hearth and air nozzle sizing chart and I have a booklet from the NZDSIR from WW2

A friend on face book runs a 350 Chev on wood gas daily.

Alot of work has gone into my generator already, I had to form a cone from 12mm plate witch was hard work, I just need to make the flange to bolt the wood hopper onto the firebox. I was hoping someone could give me some enthusiasm to finish this heap of shit

• Like 1

The vehicles distrubtor needs to be controlled from inside the car like a manual advance retard, so it could be hocked up to an old choke cable and the clamp in the block needs to be modified to it can twist, and it needs an air control like a 2nd throttle butterfly upstream of the gas intent to control the air mixture.

All up you would lose nealy half your engine HP as wood gas has such a low heating value, the heath is sized on the HP you use not the overall engine HP          

It'd be great if you could store woodgas, that'd make life much easier!

Perhaps I should put some chemistry wizardry to the cause and give it a crack, unstable gases are usually best burnt pretty quick smart though I suppose.

Or since this was done many many moons ago and we now have catalytic converters perhaps physics is the better tool to have a crack at it with.

That'd at least get rid of the carbon monoxide which is probably one of the main problems, use up a little HC to convert to H2O (which is already present) and CO2 which is also present.

• Like 1

Yes of you compressed wood gas a cylinder would only get you a cople miles up the road. The chemistry part is intresting. I dont fully understand it. Just that the hearth and nozzles must be mached to the engine or you carnt crack the tar and that will clog filters and stuff. There is some reaction in the hot char that forces a molecule of unburnab gas to share its oxygen and split into two molecules of burnable gas.

I learnt about this about a year ago, was considering building one for a velobike but too much burn risk. Might still give it a go at some point, I never fornd half as much information on designs than you though, cool to see someone building one.

I have the sizing carts and some more in-depth info if anyone is keen. There is a guy on the net with a moped running on gengas.

I tested my cyclone separator filter out with a vacum and handfulls of crap. It seems to remove everything apart from the fine dust. I have a 80 leater tank I was going ti make somekind of oil barth with a fiberglass filte. If I could get one of those oilbarth cyclone filters of some old earth moving mechaine would be good. Grit and moisture is the main problem with wood gas. An old guy was saying how on an old flathead 6 he ran no filter but had to remove the head and wirebrush everything often

• Like 1