SOHCs wood gas project.

SOHC

I need to find some kind of blower that is made from steel to use for lighting up the system, it would be used to create the vacuum before the engine is started, don't holden HQS have a steel heater fan?

What if you had a blower on the air intake for the burner pushing air in instead of sucking?

It'd be great if you could store woodgas, that'd make life much easier!

Perhaps I should put some chemistry wizardry to the cause and give it a crack, unstable gases are usually best burnt pretty quick smart though I suppose.

Or since this was done many many moons ago and we now have catalytic converters perhaps physics is the better tool to have a crack at it with.

That'd at least get rid of the carbon monoxide which is probably one of the main problems, use up a little HC to convert to H2O (which is already present) and CO2 which is also present.

As far as i know the carbon monoxide is actually the fuel the car will run on.

As for storing it they did have gas bags on the roof back in the war but not normally with a wood gas generator.

If the blower was on the intake it wouldn't relay work, would cause the fire to burn out of control, the fan is just for starting up and you have a bypass valve open when the fan is on and you hold a match to that to test the quality of the gas befor starting the engine.

Yes the bags of gas on the roof are full of coal gas, they did have some cars with CNG looking cylinders on them but its not woodgas.

There are little or no improvements I can make to the Imbert gas generator 

• 3 weeks later...

Is this in the same area as the rocket stoves? Sorry I have absolutely no idea what's going on with creating gas from wood except recently someone asked about getting creosote and after a little research I found out it is part of the soot in chimneys after burning wet wood at too low a temperature.

Anyways the rocket stoves seem to be about starving small amounts of wood of oxygen and then a process of chemical change of the resultant vapours... but I've yet to understand or study these fully. I may be getting confused as I remember a chap, Brodie, trying to explain some system for making cars go out at the infamous Gordontown in Titirangi and it seemed to be a hybrid of the thing you are building and the Rocket Mass Heater.

Is it the resin in the wood which provides the tar and if so I remember collecting some Puka tree resin after finding one at a gas station which was bleeding profusely, at the time I was thinking about making varnish from beeswax and tree resin boiled in meths so was on the look out for resins.

Is this in the same area as the rocket stoves? Sorry I have absolutely no idea what's going on with creating gas from wood except recently someone asked about getting creosote and after a little research I found out it is part of the soot in chimneys after burning wet wood at too low a temperature.

Anyways the rocket stoves seem to be about starving small amounts of wood of oxygen and then a process of chemical change of the resultant vapours... but I've yet to understand or study these fully. I may be getting confused as I remember a chap, Brodie, trying to explain some system for making cars go out at the infamous Gordontown in Titirangi and it seemed to be a hybrid of the thing you are building and the Rocket Mass Heater.

Is it the resin in the wood which provides the tar and if so I remember collecting some Puka tree resin after finding one at a gas station which was bleeding profusely, at the time I was thinking about making varnish from beeswax and tree resin boiled in meths so was on the look out for resins.

This is nothing to do with rocket stoves or heating systems, there are chemical reactions going on, it runs the engine on 100% wood gas, when you see wood on fire in the fireplace you are seeing the gas burning, this system collects the gas.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

Creosote is a byproduct of refining oil and gas, I think your thinking of wood vinegar. Soot, moisture, and tar are things you don't want in making wood gas.

• 1 year later...

I am going to have another crack at this, I got a cylinder the otherday I am going to make a filter that I can pack with grass or old pink bats something, I have made the flange for the bottom of the hearth just need to weld it on.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I ended up turning the gas cylinder I was going to use as a filter into a furnace, but I found some other plans for a filter that fits on after the cyclone that uses a fibreglass blanket that could be cleaned and reused, 

still need to find a vichical to fit this to, the last one I got I decided it was too good to chop up,  something old and big,  

I was reading an old book and they were running a sawmill that used a Dodge flathead 6 with no filters at all and a very crude downdraft genarator, every now then the head had to be removed and the valves and Pistons in place wirebrushed to remove the crap. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, h4nd said:

Engineer in Chch got some locally, but he's incommunicado in one of the outer Falkland islands at the mo. In a hurry?

not in a major hurry,

if anyone was scraping some heat exchanger from some factory or some big refrigeration thing might have it  

7 hours ago, SOHC said:

not in a major hurry,

if anyone was scraping some heat exchanger from some factory or some big refrigeration thing might have it  

We just pulled out some heat exchangers out of a large compressor that have a bundle of tubes like the ones pictured. 

What pressure rating do you need? 

How long? 

They are steel tubes. Slightly corroded hence the replacement. 

I'll see if I can chop some out for you. Our company has one of those policies that it all has to go to scrap, but I'm pretty sure some of the tubes had to be 'cut' out to get the coolers out...

• Like 2

• 3 years later...