My New project, 1980 Yamaha YZ250 G

JAPNUT

Hi all, here is my 1980 Yamaha YZ250, the bike needs a bit of work, I need new front shocks as you can see, tires, plastics, and a few other things, but she drives well, and has plenty of grunt. but I'll re paint the frame, find new shocks if I can, or if anyone has any let me know. The bike has one problem, it sometimes does not go into 5th gear, or 6th. Any advise would be awesome.

zoldy0e1.3qi.jpg

4kgzqqjn.pkm.jpg

uqkaz02a.02d.jpg

tbefdjnk.yxk.jpg

jfabzrmc.5vq.jpg

jdtyj44k.gan.jpg

http://iforce.co.nz/i/pyy5r40x.1mx.jpg

• Like 1

Well the bike needs a New or second hand Power valve, does anyone know where I can get one? and the radiators are not original at all, they were not bolted on to anything, are new radiators available? the good thing is the piston is like new, there are no chunks out of it. now all that is left to do, is take the engine out, strip other parts off and paint the frame.

Could you clamp that power valve in some angle iron and weld it? farm and trail te awamutu might have some bits but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I had an old BMW R90 and the handlebar mounts corroded like on your forks, it was like rotten wood.

Hmmm some how I don't think it will work yet again it may, well I priced a brand new power valve and it's going to cost $550 that's a full set, over priced yes. Just have to wait for my bloody boss to get out of hospital so I can buy these parts.... the bike is a 1990 according to Yamaha in whangerei....

Don't mean to offend but I dunno if I'd bother rebuilding that bike.

If its going to cost you $550 just for the power valve parts...

Being a 1990 its old enough to be old but not old enough for VMX so even if it was mint it would probably only be worth $2k tops.

Then you have to find new forks, radiators, probably all the wheel bearings, tyres, bushings etc. In that photo the rear shock looks a bit fucked too.

If it were me I'd be selling it as parts to fund a better base to build from.

That all sounds harsh but I think its fair.

• Like 4

Don't mean to offend but I dunno if I'd bother rebuilding that bike.

If its going to cost you $550 just for the power valve parts...

Being a 1990 its old enough to be old but not old enough for VMX so even if it was mint it would probably only be worth $2k tops.

Then you have to find new forks, radiators, probably all the wheel bearings, tyres, bushings etc. In that photo the rear shock looks a bit fucked too.

If it were me I'd be selling it as parts to fund a better base to build from.

That all sounds harsh but I think its fair.

I'll go a bit further than harsh, unless it has sentimental value or you really have your heart set on rebuilding this regardless of cost, you're going to waste a crap load of money rebuilding a bike that is old tech and of no significance what so ever in terms of MX history.

Even from the photos I can see a good couple of grand worth of parts, very few of which will be easy or cheap to source, due to age and lack of importance.

If you just want a paddock basher, get an old XR or KDX off TM, if you want a half-decent MX bike for trail riding, budget $3k and get an early 2000s 2 smoker that's been looked after properly.

That bike, sadly, is only good for throwing in the skip.

Thanks guys your all auctley right, I will wast money rebuilding it, $400 second hand shocks, 2 to 300 rear shock, chain and sprocket kit, foot pegs, the list goes on and on. As is, how much would she be worth? I've still got the old Honda XL125s 6 speed that just needs a new piston and clutch. It would be nice to have a XR250R from around the 80s they just keep going and going. And also a GN250 in need of a new head, bottom end has been rebuilt. Thanks guys bike is up for sail now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys your all auctley right, I will wast money rebuilding it, $400 second hand shocks, 2 to 300 rear shock, chain and sprocket kit, foot pegs, the list goes on and on. As is, how much would she be worth? I've still got the old Honda XL125s 6 speed that just needs a new piston and clutch. It would be nice to have a XR250R from around the 80s they just keep going and going. And also a GN250 in need of a new head, bottom end has been rebuilt. Thanks guys bike is up for sail now :)

The 6 speed XL125s go pretty well for what they are. BUT is it a runner? Just a piston and clutch can quickly turn into new electrics etc. too. In my experience 80s trail bikes are a disposable item (I spent $5500 on a 1987 DR250 that still didn't run well, ditched it for $800 and ran away). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, sorry for late replies, 77magnum13hundy/ you can take the whole engine and looms for $200 if you wish, The piston is newish in the engine, if you wish to take the engine PM me. Willdat!/ yes my XL runs, it was only $100 bucks so well worth it, the bike will need wiring at some point, but looks ok as it is. KIRK/ That's not a bad idea at all, I may just do that, its getting a cheap enough engine that's the problem, or any old school motorbike engines would do, only if they are thumpers, there awesome engines..

Cheers

guys