holden ute with v8 conversion

gizzyguy

H series Holden ute?

A 308 will bolt up to the engine crossmember and gearbox mount should be the same providing you are using a factory Holden box.

I swapped from a 202 to a 308 into my Commodore last year and even if I subtract the entire cost of fitting a Toyota gearbox then it still cost me well over $5K and that was with a sub $500 engine that I did not rebuild.

V8 factory diff will bolt in. May have to change the driveshaft though, Overhauled factory brakes will be good enough for cert I am fairly sure. 

If I was to do it again I would look for a running 308 car with a fucked body and buy that then swap it over. It's all the little bits that add up quite quickly.

I will chuck up a list of all the costs if you want as I kept a reasonably comprehensive record.  

• Like 1

Here is my list so far... Some of it you may not encounter but then again you may have more stuff you need instead.

This adds up to ~$10K so far.

• Motor $350
  • Engine mounts $230
  • Engine mounts pt2 $70
  • Engine mounts pt2 $110
  • Starter motor $320
  • Cam and Lifters $180
  • Water pump $50
  • Oils and filters (run in) $120
  • Hoses $120
  • Radiator $400
  • Oil and filter $160
  • Electric Fan $30
  • Air filter $60
  • Carb overhaul $100
  • Inlet Manifold Repairs $120
  • Fuel pump $120
  • Exhaust Headers $380
  • Muffler and Diff Pipe $340
  • Bell housing $520
  • Flywheel and Bolts $290
  • Clutch $600
  • Release bearing $90
  • Gearbox $350
  • Drive shaft x 2 $450
  • Drive shaft Loops $150
  • Rear Trailing Arms $120
  • Front Suspension Bushes $250
  • Diff $350
  • Wheels $150
  • Spare wheel $40
  • 4 x Tyres $200
  • Front brakes $400
  • Master cylinder $50
  • Cross member $60
  • Throttle bracket $60
  • Fan Shroud $250
  • PCV valve and fan belt $50
  • Fuel check valve $30
  • Degree Tape $15
  • Bonnet Pins $50
  • Alternator bracket $200
  • HT Lead Set $80
  • Gasket sets $150
  • Gasket goo etc $40
  • Wiring miscellany $100
  • Steel miscellany $50
  • Nuts and bolts $150
  • Speedometers bulbs $20
  • Exhaust and tuning $1,100
  • Speedo cable $50
  • Powder coating $40
  • Tyre Swaps $40
  • Make Batt. Leads $30
  • Like 1

Yeah can you be less vague? if its an H series ute it'll already have a V8/ salisbury diff unless its very early.

Gearbox depends on if you want/have an auto or manual. trimatic is piss easy, 3 on the tree manual requires a bit of parts hunting. Box mount is the same. Engine mounts are easily available. You'll need the V8 radiator and driveshaft to suit your box

• Like 1

gosh that's a long list,can see how it all adds up, lol,is awesome to see price n parts man thanks , Its a hx ute with a 202 in it.i have motor to go in but just unsure of the hard bits lol

Yeah that was with a fair bit of trademe searching and looking around for deals so it wasn't all "I need this so I'lll just buy it off the shelf"

• Like 1

^^^^^ what these guys have said as long as you have the std driveshaft eg ( your one hasnt been chopped) you'll be sweet, I cant remember if HX uses a cable trottle setup if so you'll need a v8 throttle cable

what side of the auto trans is the gear selector  RH selectors are HQ- HZ specific LH are Commodores this may determine what gear selector you can use /tbar/column etc etc 

later LH LX torries use the same T  bar auto shifters from memory for RH selector traumatics

speaking of anyone got any leads on H series Ute driveshaft?   ( sorry for thread hijack)