Toyota 5m aftermarket weber/holley/etc options?

miz-10

Hey guys,

after recently attending the 4 and rotary nationals in your fine country, I noticed that you guys do things a little differently with engines, in a good way! Everyone seems to be innovative and just have the ability to make things work!!

So, Ive searched and searched to no avail, so I thought you guys would be the best to ask about this...

I've got a 77 mx32 Cressida, which has been fitted with a 5M engine. It goes great, but having some problems with the stock carby set up (as well as having 50 million ugly and unnessessary hoses and tangled mess hanging off the side). when I first got the car it ran like a dream, and now it's having problems idling, also likes to shut down at the traffic lights on a hot day (but starts straight back up first time, everytime) So we're leaning towards blocked/dodgy carby and the fuel not getting through, possibly evaporating from the bowl whilst stopped and idling...

I'm wondering if there's any options for an aftermarket carby setup for this engine?? anything at all, I really want to get rid of this stock set up and clean up the engine bay as much as I can. is there any cool set ups like triple weber or something like that for Toyota??

Any help at all is greatly appreciated smile.png

Kez

we have a fabricator mate who could probably make up some adaptor plates, so I guess it would be just as easy to go custom route, I was just hoping there might be something direct bolt on lol

thanks for the fast replies by the way, you guys are awesome!!

OP wrote "stock craby setup" so its not a G, i'm going to guess its a 5M-U.

are you concerned about fuel economy because if you just whack a bigger carb on it it wont go any faster but it will use heaps more fuel.

you can delete all the emissions gear off the motor which will help no end and you will have to get rid of most of it anyway with a different carb setup so you might as well start there.

Yea unless you want to do something awesome like side-drafts or CV bike crabs (you will have to fabricate a manifold) the best bet is to remove all the emissions gear and rebuild that stock carb. Its the least exciting way but will get it running sweet, assuming that is actually the problem. Even track down a nice 4m asin carb and rebuild that, it will be simpler.

its the 5m-eu complete with 5 million different, non-required, Japanese emissions bits and pieces :S that was going to be the first port of call, removing all the un-necessary crap!

I'm not worried about fuel economy to be honest, because it cannot really get any worse that what it is currently (I just got 75kms out of about 18-20L of fuel :S ), which is terrible!

I could probably get a manifold made up to suit something cool (that's kind of the reason im keeping the engine in it, to keep that whole old school vibe about it. I've got a 1jz sitting in the shed, but don't want to go down that path with this). The most realistic option would just be to take it in to get the carby re-built I guess... but wheres the fun in that LOL

there is a webber of a cortina or something that ive heard of people using. dont ask me for any more details than that though.....

if you want help deleting all the emissions crap then post up some photos of anything you're not sure of and we'll tell you what you can remove and how to re-route things so it all still works but without all the crap. 

that sounds like a plan, ill snap some pics this arvo and go from there! I am going to start a build thread once im home from work, cause I cannot access photobucket or anything similar to host the images.

5m is in my bagged and shaved mx32, would be awesome to get some feedback on it once I can post it up here :)

Believe it or not stock toyota carb are actually quite good,

Before you start pulling carb apart try changing spark lead 3 and 4 around,give it a crank.

It will back fire out the carb which usually clears the shit out,sounds dodge but seen it work a few times.

Then from there id check the idle solenoid 

there is a webber of a cortina or something that ive heard of people using. dont ask me for any more details than that though.....

if you want help deleting all the emissions crap then post up some photos of anything you're not sure of and we'll tell you what you can remove and how to re-route things so it all still works but without all the crap. 

Probably the ubiqutos weber 32/36DGAV

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEBER-32-36-DGV-5A-CARBURETTOR-NEW-GENUINE-FORD-2-0-OHC-PINTO-/151186650451

they seem to work pretty well on everything from 1.3L to 4.0L engines with them being progressive linkage etc.

I think some of the smaller holley 2bbl carbs are actually identical/built under liscence. good for power outputs something like ~70-150hp or maybe a little more depending on the choke size, jetting and manifold it's bolted to.