Potentially loosing my mind and buying a BMW, known issues??

Bombsquad

When looking at BMW stuff I read that you need to replace the coolant tanks and lines as they get brittle and fail bad. Don't know if this was on your model but something to research on the web first. Also read on idle control valve, if it has one, as they can become clogged and just need a good clean out. I.e it may not be a sensor issue.

I don't know BMW,s at all so take the above with a grain of salt but own a couple of euros around that vintage

Look out for ex-Singapore ones - the engine wiring looms tend to be very brittle after 10 years and break the insulation off if you have to do something and need to move the loom out of the way - like replacing an inlet manifold gasket.

Owned an e46 328 for 7 years, one of the best cars I've had.

Suspension and diff bushes all had to be replaced, but it was 90mm off the ground, soooo kinda expected.

Had only done half the km's of what your looking at when I sold it, but loved driving it every time, so balanced.

Parts arn't cheap, but what modern car has cheap parts, and no matter what anyone says, all modern cars have their problems.

I use a territory for work, and parts for that thing are fucken expensive, and it needs them always. piece of shit.

Wife has a mk5 gti golf, but wont when the warrenty runs out. VW charge double what anyone else would.

Am aware of the cost of owning such a prestigious piece of euro trash, however it just looks so gosh darn pretty!! and tbh would only be used on weekends/for impressing girls (read : im too classy for rotor hos now) 
Its had all the belts and the bushs done, and the owner hasnt bothered with the "sensor issue" as he barely drives the car 

An E46 is one an older design BMW in my books, they came out more than 15 years ago now with the most modern one still being almost 10 years old. Pretty much an evolution of the E36 which itself was an evolution of the E30 etc. They aren't as jam packed full of electric things to go wrong unlike the later 2003ish onwards 5-series where they went to the i-Drive and funny indicator stalks.

If it's pretty well serviced and in good condition I would say go for it. What year is it and how much out of interest? At that milage I'm guessing it's closer to the $5000 mark than it would be to the $10,000 they seem to be listed for at the moment.

If the initial purchase price is low enough to walk away from it/wreck the high value parts, you can't lose. Plus it's only a weekend car, worst case scenario is that you have to use the daily in the weekends, provided you haven't ticked up $15k @ 24% to get it...

well under 5k is probably worth it

for those that dont know, up untill a few days ago i used to work for BMW in the parts dept, so i feel pretty qualified to comment here

the e46 is a fairly good car, but following is a list of common things we did in no particular order. 

1- PCV valve + Hoses (this is what i think the 'sensor fault' is, causes rough running and sometimes smoke out the pipe)

2- the original power steering pump is called an LF20 and often has an issue where it totally shits its self and its recommended to upgrade to an LF30, this also requres new hoses and your looking at aboiut $1000 

3- brake reaction arm bushes are pretty much needed at ever wof - not hugely expensive but buget for it

4- coolant expansion tank - cracks often - about 100 bucks

4a- TO BE NOTED WITH EXPANSION TANK - there is a little thermostat that sits in the expansion tank and almost always shatters when removed, they cost about $200

5- there was a recent recall on e46 airbag modules, this is actually free to have fixed i believe, just phone to find out.

6- they run coil on plug so 6 coils, and the seem to fail more than i would call normal

7- general service items like spark plugs, brake pads rotors and sensor and micro/cabin filters are fucking expensive (oil and air filters are pretty standard)

there may be more i remember and if i do ill post here, or feel free to pm me. 

oh also the keys have transponder chips in them, so if they only give you 1 key, youll wanna get another one. or face a 3 week wait for one to come from germany 

remote keys are about 500

non remote keys are about 250, 

they legitimately change price per car, its weird.