Nics Engineering page of 3d Scanning, CNC machining and other junk

NicT

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh who's used solidcam in solidworks? Is it the bizz?

Not a bad effort, user effort is minimal, but still not as powerful for 3d as surfcam or nx - edges can still be 'chunky' and has a nasty habit of gouging if you are trying to high speed finish

No idea really what you guys are talking about. . but do these programs basicallu convert a 3d model into code for the machine to read?

I wish it was as simple as that haha.

I am a huge HUGE fan of Surfcam, and quite like Gibbscam.

I use VisualMill 5.0 (2006) on a daily basis and it is good for the tasks we need to do and cheap at $1995 + GST

Are you doing a lot of 3 machining eke?

I wouldn't say a lot at the moment. I'm having a few issues with post processors and my machine not running peck drilling cycles. Hopfully my tech man will get it Sussed tomorrow. I'm very new to cnc but i know manual machining and solid cam well

What machine/controller is it? What cycle is it trying to call for peck drilling? G73 or G83?

Post cant output line by line G01 movements?

Hyundai v800 with a Siemens 810d and a mmc103. Cycle83 - hasn't seemed to have loaded the cycle file on startup. It's deff still in its correct place ect and it's on the start up load list.

It can read line by line g01 and g00 no probs but my post won't output this for it's drilling. That is a option for fixing it though!

It can read line by line g01 and g00 no probs but my post won't output this for it's drilling.

That would be a rubbish thing to hand code, got an example line the post outputs?

What does it do when you feed it a G83 string? Stop what its doing? Do the line as if it was a G01? Wildly whip around and hastily rapid at your vice making your sphincter tighten?

I made it output peck drilling in straight gcode. It works mint as. More lines of code but runs perfect.

If I try run cycle83 it just stops and says option not loaded or some such description. Basically it doesent know what 83 is. It's not a code error as it would say sintax error or ref plane incorrect ect.

I Sussed rigid tapping cycle today so hope to get the post updated to work correct for this. I have a few tapping jobs in the morning that will have to be hand written dam it. I havnt crashed it to any great extent yet but I can see how it happens with all these dodgy post processors around! It would fuck shit up! Pretty much no stopping it it's sooo powerful.

• Like 1

Good work on the peck drilling, dodgy post code is a painful thing. If you have a touch probe one day you will get it.... not enough sleep/someones talking to you/complacent then 'ping' there goes $600

Writing code by hand is better then hand tapping 30 x M30 holes 150mm deep because the tap stalls ur spindle out

272379_10151162093920837_613833698_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

3D scanning bros - anybody used any cheap chinese stuff before?

I bought this today for like $100 shipped:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3d-scanner-high-precision-portable-scanner-professional-product-machine/1813000026.html

Don't really care if it doesn't work as it was only $100. May have to employ a Chinese friend to translate the instructions when it arrives, but there's a video on the manufacturer's website that kind of shows you what to do.

End goal is to 3D scan an entire a car so I can do some mad aerodynamics on it (CFD without a GUI, so all C+ coded, should be fun...). Currently looking like I'll need to do like 170 scans and stitch them all together, as buying one of those continous hand-held ones is like $2k+ even for cheap chinese shit.

• 3 months later...

Ive been a little quite around here lately as I have been quite busy.

Thought i would show you guys something I managed to part trade a 3d printer for.

6YGAy6.jpg

I bought this little guy, a 300 x 600 x 100mm CNC router.

So Ive always toyed with the idea of making a carbon fiber race seat for my BMX, and we make composite molds at work I have learnt a little in the past 7 months to design one and have a crack and making it myself.

kcmoGU.jpg

So this is the design I came up with. Single layer 3k weave, 0.28mm thick carbon fiber sheet, bonded with Epoxy resin (probably West Systems 403 or what ever we have at work) I was going to Vacuum form it, but I thought it maybe intersted to try a compression mould using a Male and a Female. Most companys dont opt for this as Mold costs are so expensive, but when you are making them yourself and its costing you PVA and MDF I thought why not (also give me a little more practice with 3 axis programming.

iXmm7R.jpg

Test Print

Axc91g.jpg

Z Finishing after Roughing

lIK8Rs.jpg

Semi Finished Male Mold. Needs sanding, surface prep

Will be an interesting learning experience and if you guys are keen I can put up progress of my attempts at Carbon Fibering this (i know its not car related).

However I have very grand plans that involve car components, maybe not my crown but definitely a couple of Carinas that need some love

• Like 9