Brake tube flare help, Auckland

SOHC

I've got a flaring kit and decent pipe benders. In Sunnyvale by hendo. Not a pro but done a few that don't leak, happy to show you what youtube taught me.

Cool thank you, I will send you a PM, the they are all ready to go, just nad the flaring done of the 4 ends

I've got a really nice flaring kit. You're welcome to come and use it if things don't work out above. You pretty much can't get it wrong.

I'm in Te Atatu.

Sweet I will see how things go, I am sure I could get it to go wrong lol

Don't forget to put the pipe nuts on before doing the flare. The number of times I've been super chuffed at the flare I made and then notice the flare nut still sitting on the bench.

RAGE central.

Also make sure you put the flare nut on the right way around and that the nut is right for the fitting. The same thread is all good but the depth of the threadless shank is also critical and can vary hugely from one nut to another.

• Like 9

Don't forget to put the pipe nuts on before doing the flare. The number of times I've been super chuffed at the flare I made and then notice the flare nut still sitting on the bench.

RAGE central.

Also make sure you put the flare nut on the right way around and that the nut is right for the fitting. The same thread is all good but the depth of the threadless shank is also critical and can vary hugely from one nut to another.

This. Also, this thread reminded me I think someone who I can't remember borrowed my flare kit and I don't think I've got it back yet. Bugger.

I've found that the <$50 Chinese ones are really shit, though the "medium range" which goes from $50 to $250 is much of a muchness.

Then there is a huge jump to $5-800 ones which are really cool and do an amazing job while being super quick and easy. But they are mega overkill for a back yard mechanic. (plus you can't use them in an on-car situation because they are designed to be vice mounted when used)

So I'd buy a $50 one over a $250 one because there is no way they are 5 times better and just as likely to break the same bits on either of them. (which is normally the little tidbit that goes inside the bundy tube to hold the shape when flaring it)

• Like 1

I have one of these. It's crazy easy to use and makes awesome flares. So long as you cut the tube perpendicular you can't go wrong. Highly reccomended if you prescribe to the 'buy only good quality tools' mantra.

Thats I nice looking tool, dose it do imperial tube? I for got to say

My cheep now broken $30 kit came with one of those tube cutters witch is the only good thing in the kit so I got the ends cut nicley,