Fixing "un-captive" springs

michael14

So my girlfriends car has been through vtnz for her latest wof, when the car is jacked up there is no movement in the spring. But when its on the ground there is a slight movement in it, (by pulling it with a fair amount of force you can move the spring, only very slighlty) 

What could the problem be? And whats the easiest way to go about fixing this?

Cheers.

Physics no comprendhe?

The spring will ALWAYS be under compression when the car is on the ground so how there can be movement under compression but no movement when at droop?

I would check this yourself or get a more detailed explanation from the WOF guy - sounds like your missus has told you the problem and got it wrong..

Ive lookedmyself and yeah I know, sounds very weird but this is exactly what happens. Im going to take it to the wof guy later on today and show him what im talking about and try get a good explination out of him, was just seeing what you guys thought. But yeah the physics dont make sense haha

Sounds like it might be something like the steering bearings (rotational bearings on the strut) flogged out causing the play.

Just a guess I'm no expert.

This is a very valid point - so would be checking the strut tops. It's not the spring that has movement though - it's the entire strut.

What sort of car are we talking?

Just do a simple hand-eye check for now - like KK suggested.

Make sure that the bolt on the top of the strut is nice and tight, and same with all the other bolts in there.

Same/similar suspension as the A31 cefiro/laurels/skylines etc - and my personal experience I wouldn't know why one wiggles and the others don't unless the spring is in side the strut incorrectly.

It certainly doesn't sound as tho the spring is uncaptive, otherwise you would have a hella uneven ride, and when it's jacked up, it would look like this.

P1040894.JPG

Check the top bush on the strut,

Not the pivot point at the top but where the the shaft goes into the shock body.

Most will leak oil when it's worn but it may my be the problem.

It can cause the symptoms you are describing because the shaft is held tight when it's extended but free to move side ways when the suspension is loaded.

Welding what? Bad idea to weld anything in that region... If you can't take it apart and look yourself, +1 to the above idea. Get a mechanic to look at it and fix it. It's pretty crucial to not piss with suspension if you're not sure what's up.