Phib3r_0ptik's 1962 Suzuki MA50 Seplet

Benno

So I have acquired this fine piece of 1960's engineering from jtkp61. Only got it dropped off an hour or so ago, so haven't even really had a good look at it yet. So far the bike has been stripped down, frame repainted and the top end of the engine rebuilt.

Apparently it is a pretty rare model, with only a few others in NZ. Current plans are to get it running and on the road, then think about what to do next with it. I reckon it would have a lot of potential for a bobber or brat style bike, but as it is so rare might be worth keeping it original. Wait and see how things pan out at this stage.

Pics below are from jtkp61

OxtsHc4.jpg

Ze2PkSDh.jpg

WgsyrWah.jpg

WECaSyhh.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have since learnt (since the last time i tried to wire this) that these actually have electric start. and the alternator is powered up by a battery, and turned into an electric motor. so thats quite likely most of the reason why i could never work out what all the wires were for.

but i have had this running, and from what i saw, it just needed a set of points in order to run pretty well.

Yeah, I had a bit of a look at the wiring. Looks like a bit of a nightmare really. I'll have a better look at it at the weekend, but I'm debating just re-wiring the whole thing, doing it properly with fuses, LED light conversion etc. I haven't got a clue how that system works, keen to just get it running first, then worry about getting the electric start, lights and shit working. Probably need some advice when I get to trying to get it running, don't really know much about bike ignition systems. 

ive had it running, that bit it fairly easy, what i struggled with was getting the engine to output a charging current, but i think i was being confused by all the extra wires for the electric start, definitely rewire, any wires left in there, that arnt coming out from the engine might not even be right, always easier to start from the start. 

Yeah, I'll probably pull a loom from pick-a-part and cut that up for it or something. I'll get the wheels painted and it put back together first, if I get stuck on getting it running I'll hit you up then haha

I've got a mint Motobatt battery I could sell you for it, came out of my C90 however now its C50 it doesn't need the battery. $40? Barely been used. Let me know can drop it round to if you want Ben

Yeah, that would be great mate. I've got a busy day today, so probably won't get a chance to go past the atm. PM me your account and I'll deposit the money directly into that, then just drop it off whenever you get a chance. Cheers bro

Done a bit of work on this, wheels were rusty as shit, so cleaned them up a bit then painted matt black. Still look pretty pitted, but good enough for me. Resisting the temptation to do any modifications, going to try just get it running for now so it doesn't sit around in the shed for months.

Before

rHCIJg0h.jpg

During

snGBWVKh.jpg

After

ud1bt5fh.jpg

to get spark, you want power from the battery into the + wire of the coil, and negative from the battery to the frame/engine. 

and then run the - wire from the coil through the points, then when the points break, the coil sparks, and with a set of new points, correctly adjusted, it should run well. 

from there you want to find the wire/wires that will output a current, that can be used to charge the battery. 

once you have all that sorted, you could look into the electric starter, which i presume is the thick yellow wire. but its got kick start so electric start isnt crucial, however it would be an amazing feature on such an old bike. 

Had a better look at it now, it seems to be missing the coil which would explain my confusion. I have messaged Jack/jtkp61 so hopefully that shows up. Will wait and see if that shows up before I order new points.

Couple of other questions, mainly what is this thing for? I originally thought it was the coil until I had a better look at it. It seems like a flasher or regulator unit or something. My electronics knowledge is generally pretty good, but never seen something like this before.

nZX5blSh.jpg

Secondly, what is the reason for this bit circled in red? It seems like it is supposed to contact the cover. What does it do, and does this mean that this cover should be isolated from ground?

Lhd0yOLh.jpg

That first thing looks like a voltage regulator, most old cars have them that look like that, but on this I would look into doing a chinese rectifier/regulator conversion. The second bit looks like a condenser, but it is a bit hard to make out in the photo, if it is, then it is what stops the points burning when the primary coil collapses, and needs to be there.

That would make sense, it has something that looks like a diode on the back. I will definitely do that, not a fan of how it looks sticking out the side. Turns out the coil is there, I just couldn't spot where it was tucked away/i'm an idiot.

Can't see it well in this photo, but there is something else which I am pretty sure is the condenser behind it, connected between the points and gnd. Not 100%, but pretty sure that the circled bit is not the points, it seems to be in series with the points. Possibly a thermal fuse perhaps? If it overheats, it cuts the connection to the coil until it cools down? Assuming it isn't the condenser, what else could it be?

Don't keep it  original! make it wild. We just slammed a scooter so hard tonight its tuckin spokes in the rear!!

It's going to happen, its just a matter of time. I was/am thinking about chopping it now, but if I do that it will end up taking far too long to get on the road. Will get it running as is, then hit it with the grinder soon afterwards

Yeah, it looks like it could possibly be a relay and the gauge of the wires coming out of it suggest either that or a regulator, they are fairly thick.

As for the charging circuit, basically I want a AC->DC 6v rectifier/regulator? There seem to be heaps of cheap 12v ones around, I'm sure I can track down a cheap 6V one from somewhere. Has anyone else found a cheap easy module for this, if so how well did it work?

What else do I need to do for this then? I was planning on replacing all the lights, flashers anyway so 12V would make things easier. Would the alternator put out enough voltage to run this? I guess the 6V coil will need replaced too?

Coil defo need replacing with a 12V variant. Starter relay (if it has one) could need changing too. The horn will probably be OK with 12V, but don't quote me on that.

You should be able to pick a regulator/rectifier of any 12V modern bike and it will probably work. How many windings on the alternator? Because if the alty wont charge 12V then you could stick two together for that.