Painting info - bare metal to etch primer

jaikno66

Ok so I've got a spare set of doors for my starlet and they've had so many crap resprays over the years I've decided I want to take them back to bare

Metal cause who knows what's under there. But I was wondering what's the best way to do it Paint striper? Grinder? Any help would be great. Thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

paint striper doznt get the bog off (if there is any)so you might have to grind those area's! make sure you sand the paint with 40 grit first so that the paint striper eats in good! best to treat the metal once all the paint bog etc is off! then 2pak etch it!

i restore cars az a job and found if you got bog in the panel that your taking back to bare metal, best to use a 8,10 inch grinder

its faster and less mess, and just lightly grind it so you dont heat up the panel to much!

this is my way and it works for me, but there are loads of other ways to go about it just what ever works for you, hope this helps dude!

Also if you are using paint stripper cut into the paint with sandpaper, brush the stripper on and then chuck glad wrap or plastic over it and leave for 10 or 20 minutes then scrape it off with a bog spreader

Always worked sweet for me that way

^ Haha yea that. I use paint stripper on large flat areas, then move to the nylon strip disks and various wire wheels, I also use small die grinder attachments for hard to reach corners and rusty shit. I then hit the panel with the DA sander to key it and brighten it up, then scrub it down with a scotch brite and wax and grease remover, then clean it down for paint. The metal should be white and clean before you paint it. Doing whole cars like this gets old real quick and you usually wish you got it media blasted about 5 seconds into stripping a panel

Chuck them in 2 part epoxy primer as it actually seals the panel, they can sit around for years if like this.