Painting info - bare metal to etch primer

jaikno66

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to be rebogging (which trust me, you will need to do now) then i would say get a decent long sander as this is a large flat panel

17317175HO.jpg

something like that - should be stocked at your local automotive paint store

you will prob have to do a few skims of bog to get it straight again - panel work is not fun hahah

your 'little dents' prob wont pop out very well and if they do you will need to bog them anyways as there is no way the panel will be perfectally flat again.

best of luck dude

Look dude, don't take what we are saying as criticism, we are just trying to help you do the job you probably expect.

IMO that door is fucked and you should definitely find a mint one, KP's aren't unobtanium yet so it should be a relatively easy task.

Unless you have heaps of experience/ ARE a panel beater I wouldn't recommend anyone do a complete bare metal job, they are so much work on old cars, and even the panel beaters I know avoid bare metal resprays like the plague.

Yea - bare metel respray is great in theory, and you KNOW exactally what you are working with when you do one

HOWEVER

90% of painting a car is in the panel work - and just like anything, the better the starting point (ie a nice straight door) the less work you have to do. I guess being so young you have more time on your side rather than money, and it would be a good learning curve. but if it was me, I would save the time and spend the money on a straighter door - as Rookie has pointed out, KP doors are fairly common comparitively to others

I have 1 million blocks

Durablocks are awesome if you keep them true on some glass, especially handy is the round block and the half width block, I get the stick on sandpaper from the states

p8564.jpg

Blocks and blocking are another full topic of their own

Listen to the guys above, you should treat these doors as a learning exercise only