1GGE=T

Chuffaneilious

Hello everyone,

Im currently building up a 1gge, i need very little to get it going N/A. But how hard is it to +T a 1GGE?? I know people will say 'why would you??', but why not?? The compression is i bit more than a standard 1GGTE but sould run a +T set-up safe-ish. Its been rebuilkt with all new seals, rings, bearings, cam grind etc.. Its in mint condision, and would go mean as a N/A beater. Jsut had a thought of adding a turbo and running it off the standard 1GGTE loom and ecu. the main thing is i can get a 1GGTE custom steampipe manifold (Far more tough and overbuilt than needed) and a tial wastegate off a mate for cheapish. hehe. and then run a t3 or smaller turbo. Thought why not run a t3t4 and run it at 5-6psi, maybe??

anyway whats stopping me from running it as a plus turbo set up (safely)??

Please if you know anything about this and these engines comment. All comments valued. Cheers.

Just do it and find out, can't see why it wouldn't work.

Check AFRs with a wideband once it's up and running and it should give you a fair idea how safe it will be (maybe adjust fuel pressure to suit if it's close), then it's up to the factory knock control (which I assume they have?) as to whether it'll blow up or not :-P

The engine itself should be plenty strong enough.

Edit: maybe make up some det-cans for your own knock control (google it)

my 1gge+t was running 20 psi boost without any dramas, larger injectors turbo link ecu and most importantly a decent tune.. no idea how well things will behave on the factory ecu..

the 1G is a bloody solid engine, mine sure took a beating at numerous track days on 16-18 psi and around 245kw at the wheels...

Just do it and find out, can't see why it wouldn't work.

Check AFRs with a wideband once it's up and running and it should give you a fair idea how safe it will be (maybe adjust fuel pressure to suit if it's close), then it's up to the factory knock control (which I assume they have?) as to whether it'll blow up or not :-P

The engine itself should be plenty strong enough.

Edit: maybe make up some det-cans for your own knock control (google it)

Do you know or does anyone know if a 1GGE has a knock sensor.

If you have a 1g-gte handy to steal the loom, ecu, turbo, manfiolds etc off them grab the knock sensors off that too? From a quick google it looks like they have 2.

I've been reading up on turboing NA engines and if you use all of the turbo gear then bump up the fuel pressure with an adjustable fuel pressure reg while a wide band is connected it should all work really well.

I've been a fan of high comp turbo engine for a while. They don't usually have the ultimate horsepower potential of low CR high boost engines, but they respond really well to minimal mods.

• Like 1

If you have a 1g-gte handy to steal the loom, ecu, turbo, manfiolds etc off them grab the knock sensors off that too? From a quick google it looks like they have 2.

I've been reading up on turboing NA engines and if you use all of the turbo gear then bump up the fuel pressure with an adjustable fuel pressure reg while a wide band is connected it should all work really well.

I've been a fan of high comp turbo engine for a while. They don't usually have the ultimate horsepower potential of low CR high boost engines, but they respond really well to minimal mods.

Mean, Im geting a 1ggte ecu and loom so that should work rather well. As reference to adding the standard 1ggte turbos and manifold, i thought about it but if im going to turbo it i most-as-well go to bigger turbo such as a T3T4 or a little larger. If its going to blow up. I want it to be a Decent turbo to end the 1G's life. hehehe.

Chur for the info though bro. appreciated.

Only reason for going to a single would be because of the yuck standard setup, but you'd want to take it easy at first. At least get it running on standard gear or a small single, then if it's going ok you could think about upgrading.

A car that runs well for a long time making decent power is way more fun than a car that makes huge power... once.

• Like 1

Only reason for going to a single would be because of the yuck standard setup, but you'd want to take it easy at first. At least get it running on standard gear or a small single, then if it's going ok you could think about upgrading.

A car that runs well for a long time making decent power is way more fun than a car that makes huge power... once.

Indeed. Im not going to run a massive turbo firts off. Im planing on a simple setup and then to to a t3t4 ae.

too big turbo on an engine with no torque is not fun to drive. have driven a number of rb20 powered things with oversized china turbos, they mostly suck. power happens too late in the rev range, you have to cane it to get the most out of it, fine for a racetrack but no good for practical road use

too big turbo on an engine with no torque is not fun to drive. have driven a number of rb20 powered things with oversized china turbos, they mostly suck. power happens too late in the rev range, you have to cane it to get the most out of it, fine for a racetrack but no good for practical road use

Yeah. Theres not much point putting a large turbo on a engine like this cos youll be stringing its ring out to get it flying. Cheers. =Not much fun. :-(