Seeking 4age 16v Bigport help. URGENT!!

Thomasi

Have been wiring up a sound system for the past few days, been starting the car each day, went to drive today, car didn't want to start, had to jump start it to get it going, once it was running I had to hold my foot on the gas to keep it running and when I took it off the car died. The revs took ages to pick up when I put my foot down, didn't want to drive it at all though. Thinking its on 3cylinders s

it shake and sounds like a subaru and my 3rd cylinder injection plug is loose and stuffed so that may be the problem??

Can anyone else give me a hand diagnosing it?!

Seems a little weird that it would suddenly do it after you were wiring in stuff....... you check all your fuses?

But to me it does sound like its running on three.

Best way to check whick one, pull out a spark plug lead and see if it runs the same or worse. then put it back and do it to the next cylinder till you have tried all four.

The one that you pulled and didnt make it run worse is the cylinder that is the problem.

Generally I have found most injector plugs on these seem to be fucked over time, but the still seem to work all good, not saying that isnt nesseraly the problem tho.

How extensive is the sound system?

Have you wired in an amp? If so, unwire and see if it runs better. Did you mess around with the earth cable to the motor at all?

• Like 1

if the ground wire to your engine is fucked, broken or highly corroded, your engine electrics wont work correctly

As most sensors use a power feed and a ground, they usually use the motor as a ground instead of running two sets of wires to every little sensor back to the ECU.

therefore, if the earth lead is fucked, all the sensors wont be getting earth properlly and running high resistance, and maybe even try and back feed up other wires to work.

So to start with, your starter motor is the biggest user of the earth cable to the motor, hence why it could be not turning over good.

try taking one of your jump leads, attach to the negative side of your battery, and the other end somewhere on the engine. make sure its on everything good and see if it starts and runs better

My battery is in my boot unfortunately :( I might just sand down the earth cable point and see if that makes a difference. Or relocate it to a better place. It needs to go on an unpainted part of the chassis eh??

Shit I didn't realise so much was dependent om the ground wire?!

yeah generally to an un painted place is best, however with a cleaned up bolt, including thread, and a a good clean location for it to screw into should be enough.

You can also try using the jump cable from the engine to a good earth in your engine bay. Essentually what your doing there is using the jumper cable as the engine earth strap instead.

has your battery always been in the boot or did you just do that?

there is still the possbitily I am leading you up the wrong track, but its where I would be starting.

And dont use super cheap Jumper leads, they are shit.

Also when you have it running, stick a multi meter across your battery with the lights on etc and make sure its getting enough charge, should be 14.4v, but with extended battery cables that you are running to get the battery in the boot, you will loose some voltage, so maybe expect 13.5ish volt instead.

As always, its hard to diagnose these sorts of things without seeing the car, but, well, atleast your learning something for the future :)

Tried the grounding this morning and it didn't make any difference, had to jump start it again. Could hear the starter motor clicking away before jumping it. Still sounds lumpy as hell, like a bloody subaru EW, and refuses to idle, have to hold my foot on the gas to keep it running. Going to try seek out a fuel injection plug this morning, but any other ideas??

Cheers.

About the best suggestion I could come up with vs what you have described is to get the battery charged up with a trickle charger (at your local battery seller/workshop) and also put a new set of spark plugs in it.

I think one or two plugs could be wet from the constant start/stop on cold start every day and not getting up to temp.

However if it is an urgent fix then I would be seeking professional help rather than over the internet - it could take you days if not weeks asking for advice via this method because to be honest it could be DOZENS of things that are causing your symptoms.

^^yes needle in a haystack

my 4age had all types of stupid problems and behaved like yours for a while. have you looked at the timing?

though i never solved the actual problem (sorry no magic solutions here) i found it would splutter and shudder like the leads were on the wrong plugs, till i moved the dizzy and it would pop into this odd sweet spot where the car became driveable. never figured out why though dammit. now i prowl the badlands/4age threads. a failure hunting answers. a bountyhunter, an injection fail

All those 4age injector plugs are old and brittle, all the ones on my motor were broken and didn't 'clip' in. So I sat them all in place and cable tied them down to prevent them from moving. New plugs from Toyota are expensive but a better option.

If the problem started when you installed your sounds, I would double check everything you did there.

Also charge the battery before doing any further diagnosing

The biggest pain in the ass is the fact that it was running sweet as before hand, and now that i've messed with it, somehow by doing a stereo, its running like shit.

I'm charging it up as we speak but only replaced the sparkplugs about 4weeks ago, I seriously didn't think I could fuck up this big by just putting sounds in to be honest.

Mine definitely splutters and shudders, the whole car vibrates like a jackhammer.

God this is frustrating -.-

thats what I was thinking, I've had it on 3cylinders before but it never sounded as lumpy/helicoptery and was driveable, this I wouldnt dare to drive because it feels like i'm ramming a knife up and under my fingernails, am going to try the sparkys now, give em a clean up etc and try the when the battery is charged.

What could I have done whilst installing a sound system to completely mess with the whole engine man?! 0.o