tinted rear tail lights?

chriscross

hi guys iv got a a31 cefiro with tinted face lift tail lights, just wondering can i get green stickered for theres?

im a car painter and i just tinted sum clear with black to make them dark, you can still see a bit of red in the light itsef, and in the dark they light up mint and bright still, but yeah have heard you can get stickered for them!

cheers chris any help would be mint!

As far as I was ever told, as long as they were bright enough when lit it didn't matter, but you had to have a reflector on the back of the car. So tinting your tail lights voided the reflector.

This was all back in the day when we did the old black pantyhose over the tail lights, and my wof man let me off if I put a reflector somewhere else, so I got some small bike reflectors and stuck them to the edge of the number plate.

Mind you, that was all back in the day when cops didn't hate on anyone with a modified car, so now I would guess, the wrong cop would still give you shit for them if he felt like it.

Ask a wof man.

cheers guys! yeah iv got a high stop light on the car, i had to put on for a wof many moons ago.

it says that they have to be red when there on or braking etc and to have a red reflecter somewhere on the rear. they light up red and there still bright.

az much az they look kool, but probperly not wroth another green sticker.

its the type of car that is allways get picked out buy the cops,i reckon id be sweet but you get that one cop that can end it all!

haha that wood of been a mess man!

i just bugs me that you cant just make your car look different from the rest with out getting the fuzz all over you!

iv spent alot of money certing the cage,motor,rims,coilovers so so on etc and a little thing like tinting your lights can get you into crap!

im from west auckland az well lol!

the ve commys do its an opitons i think! i know the ae111 levin have pretty dark, but yeah!

i asked the wof man at the garage up from work today interesting,

said that it inpends on the person checking the car for a wof really, he said that as long as you can see them light up in the day time and can be see it souldnt be a problem.

iv found over the years of mucking with cars that certs,wofs, and the cops have different rules for anything to do with mods!

one thing could be sweet for a cert but not for a wof eg stetched tyres. you cant get a cert with them,but a wof you can, and cops can green sticker it for them!

its anybodys guess lol!

hi guys iv got a a31 cefiro with tinted face lift tail lights, just wondering can i get green stickered for theres?

im a car painter and i just tinted sum clear with black to make them dark, you can still see a bit of red in the light itsef, and in the dark they light up mint and bright still, but yeah have heard you can get stickered for them!

cheers chris any help would be mint!

the fact you say they light up sweet at night time tells me they are piss poor during day time use?

The holdens are fine as long as they remove the covers when the headlights are in use, i.e they can use them during the day but they have to come off at night.

It's not really a 'consensus'... Whether people think they're too tinted or not doesn't really apply, they're still illegal to do. They're not like windows where you can do it to a certain %.

If you're willing to risk it, go for it!

yeah i just put the old ones back in, saw a cef on trademe with tinted lights and purpize it had just got a new vtnz wof because it had tinted lights so yeah there it is,learn from other peoples ffff ups!

cheers for the info guys,hope this tread will help others with this type of thing!

1) Tinted lights are gay.

2) Tinted lights in a Cefiro is asking for trouble

3) Tinted lights were quite popular from the factory during the 80's: VLs, R31s & Starions of the top of my head. If the rule is no tint what so ever that seams like an inconsistency but whatever, refer to point 1.

It's not really a 'consensus'... Whether people think they're too tinted or not doesn't really apply, they're still illegal to do. They're not like windows where you can do it to a certain %.

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong here, but it seems like a grey area... Assuming you're not going for a total blackout look, most tinted tail lights would probably be brighter than the factory tails on my CGT - marginal at best during the day time, but exactly as they left the factory:

DSCF1546.jpg

And this chappy with his Vento Coupe... Tinted tails from a Vento sold in a European market - No NZ new or Jap import Vento used them:

DSCF0023.jpg