Tie Rod help needed

davidian

Does anyone have access to tie rod sizes and measurements?

I need to find something that fits any help would be fantastic.

I need a taper to fit Lada Niva pitman arms, that being around 15.2mm wide/15mm narrow, so around that size.

Also the other end needs to be a male thread with a reasonably common size and thread which I can find a nut for easily.

(So far I have hilux LM55 items, part number is camelot RN540L i think, taper is perfect but the thread on the body is really shit, m17 1x5 lefthand thread. I also have som 60s holden ones which are close but not as tight a fit in the taper and the body is a chunky M18 thread.)

many thanks

In that case you would need cert so to make it easier perhaps you could drill the taper to a parallel bore then run sperical bearing rod ends and a bolt..

Just thinking of an alternative to what you ask as what you are asking sounds like a lot of hard graft..

thanks man, too bad its not really helping

already had a certifier come around and now im doing mock ups which then need to get approved before they are actually made by an engineer.

I dont have the facility to tap threads etc but i do have a pipe bender and a cheap supply of pipe. what i want to do is weld some nuts on the ends and screw in the tie rods. and need a tie rod i can find a nut for. ta

i have a mate with a huge list of all there rack-ends and lengths, when i see him later this week i will inquire if he has listings of balljoint tapers... tbh i doubt it as there are so many different ones and most are non-standard (tooling wise to ream out new arms)

i've made tooling to do nissan tapers (i make steering arms from steel) so i could ream your arms out to suit a nissan outters to keep things more standard if that helps? (they use a m14x15 thread) i will measure tapers if you want to see if this is a option

• Like 1

The ealy holden tierod ends you speek of will have a 11/16 UNF thread Ford use it to, its a real bum size

yeah i have found out today while tryine to buy 18mm nuts for it which aaaaaalmost fit, now im screwed again. no pun intended

You could ream the arm to suit a different taper or do what I did and get a new ball joint made with the taper to suit?

mmmm yes this is looking increasingly like an option. cant really ream out the tie rods, at least the hilux one which i have (which is a better fit) because its hardened

i have a mate with a huge list of all there rack-ends and lengths, when i see him later this week i will inquire if he has listings of balljoint tapers... tbh i doubt it as there are so many different ones and most are non-standard (tooling wise to ream out new arms)

i've made tooling to do nissan tapers (i make steering arms from steel) so i could ream your arms out to suit a nissan outters to keep things more standard if that helps? (they use a m14x15 thread) i will measure tapers if you want to see if this is a option

thanks man i will take a couple of shots tonight to clear up what i have and what im trying to do.

would definately prefer to find something off the shelf tho. this week if poss too

thanks for the offer but dont think the LHD ones should work?

anyways im giving up on the 11/16 ones as the taper is a bit too narrow. those are the lower ones in the pic which also have the unfortunate angle. the 17mm ones are straight and hardened.

1000402r.jpg

what i need to shape

1000401i.jpg

no unfortunately they only list that one from what i can find online

Try IRL - they will have RH thread ones - otherwise itis impossible to adjust the wheel alignment without removing the tie rod tolengthen/shorten it after each measurement....

I assure you if they have LH thread ones - they will at least LIST RH thread equivalents...

I would put money on it..

How long do you need the tube?, I have a lenth of seamless tube with a 11/16 threed in one end, it was half a tie rod of a T bucket

If the tapered hole is worng in the steering arm it could be reemed?

The rods ends you have with the angle are HT Holden,

the ealy ford V8 rod ends are straight with out the angle, there made by Fuji