Oil Temp Gauges, how long to get up to temp??

Seedy Al

hey guys

So, i have my lovely new VW, and it has a oil temp gauge, seeing as it doesnt have a water cooling system

How long driving would you expect to get a reading on this thing?? I'm not sure if its working or not, and I'm not really that keen to attempt a decent trip i know it does,

So far i have only driven the van from my house to work, and that was about 15min drive. i dont recall the gauge really reading anything.

thoughts?

pug ones register after about 15min on the open road from memory.

earth out the sender to check your wirng and gauge operation, then leave it idling once you get to work for 10 minutes or so to see what happens.

couple it with an oil pressure gauge, too. oil pressure can give just as much idea as to oil temp as an oil temp gauge. that depends on you dropping to lowish revs, though.

i use oil pressure and oil temp in the 205, oil pressure when cold i sky high when at idle like 70+ psi and drops to around 30 when warm.

oil temp takes a good while to warm up - typically as above when cold and just idling it will take 10 min or so to start to really get above 70^c

Our race car has an oil temp gauge in it. Took us what seemed like ages (prob 15 mins or maybe more) to get some temperature in the oil with the 354 running and heating elements on the dry sump tank :lol:

It does carry a fuck tonne of oil though :rolleyes: