Sticking Brakes Question

Beaver

If my front brakes (disc) are permantly on slightly, whats the best way to remedy? I cracked the bleed nipple but there was no excess pressure....

should I crack it open and slightly press the brake pedal and then do it back up to get some 'slack' in the system?

IIRC your Triumph has twin piston callipers on the front and are not sliding type.

If its one wheel sticking then its normally a semi seized component causing it. Sliding type callipers its often the slide that is seized, non sliding its mostly a seized piston.

If its both wheels sticking on the same amount then its most probably a sticky seal in the master cylinder.

Either way some or all of your brake components are going to need some kind of stripdown and overhaul.

PS - nice loveheart faggit

Yeah - if that floats ya boat - I can help with that.

TBH I would track down a 2nd hand pair of callipers and master then rekit those rather than strip yours apart and find there is more than just a rekit required.

Problem is with a lot of the Lucas and Girling stuff they get pitted pistons and bores - you can get the M/C sleeved and calliper pistons new still so its not all bad news - just the length of time your car may be off the road while you source them could be a PITA..

Yes you could do that but its quite likely that you will damage the seals pulling the pistons out. You'll put them back together and they'll start leaking within a couple months.. Seen it time and time again on Jags and MG's. Remember I worked on old Pommy dungers for most of my career..

If it kept spinning i'd be more worried..

Best thing to do, whip wheels off and push pads back into the calipers, if they go in with no more than hydraulic pressure they legit.

If they are stiff, remove pad, spray piston with crc, and remove crud from visible part of piston and rotate whilst forcing in.

better living everyone

Yeah that would be my thinking too ^^ Unless both sides unluckily have the exact same problem, then start with what affects both of them.

How does the brake system work? Diagonal wheels paired up or some other way? Rears spin freely compared to fronts? No idea about your car, so go easy :P but if it was a master based issue wouldn't that also affect rears or nah?

Quite often this is a blocked compensating port in the master cylinder. The brake pedal needs to come back far enough for this; it's worth checking - you need some freeplay there.

Otherwise like kyteler says "Just pull apart your calipers, check the condition of the seals, use a little emery paper on the bores, they might come up sweetbix without spending any money at all."

I had the same problem on my old car and I have done this^ recently with 6 calipers; I was lucky with the seals, I used rust killer on the calipers and pistons to rid any corrosion. I found that the problem was most likely the pistons catching the bores between the seal and the dust seal. The 2 that were on the car are back there now and seem to be fine. I guess out of the 6, 2 are in very good condition, 2 are quite good (on the car) and 2 are average spares probly not useable.

If it kept spinning i'd be more worried..

Best thing to do, whip wheels off and push pads back into the calipers, if they go in with no more than hydraulic pressure they legit.

If they are stiff, remove pad, spray piston with crc, and remove crud from visible part of piston and rotate whilst forcing in.

better living everyone

I just use a tyre lever to push them back, then pedal to push them back against the tyre lever, rinse and repeat until they behave themselves...bit of brake fluid on the exposed piston.