Felixx's ratrod Tweed Bike

felixx

Picked this beast up today..

Has a nice amount of patina:

bike4.jpg

shame about the brooks saddle

bike3.jpg

Plans are to put new (old) wheels on it. Recondition the saddle and make some leather handgrips

thats it, I love the lichen.

I will need some 28" wheels, although 26" will be ok I guess

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you might find 28's won't fit it, nothing wrong with 26 though. You can get new rims in 26 x 1 3/8 for 20-30 dollars from appropriate cycle chops. HSW is the intials of the brand, cant remember what it stands for though.

Or there will probably be a few old but still sweet to use wheels on trademe.

The brooks seat on my Hercules 28" is exactly the same model, and same state. Keen to see what you can do with it.

If you want some period parts but still keep "the worn out look" let me know, I have _quite_a_bit_of_stuff_

tortron reupholstered a leather brooks seat, I assume it went ok

Ah, if already 28 then sweet, the perspective on the photo made it look like a 26 to me.

Velo Ideale sell new 28" rims, but they are around 50 a pop. Unless the spoke holes are completely flogged out you should be ok to use them

So here is the saddle in detail.

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

seat4.jpg

seat5.jpg

Plan is to hit it with a wire brush to get the rust off the springs then hit it with either a dose of black paint or gun blue.

Will stop in at the saddlery shop to look at leather

Don't think so, there are usually 2 layers of leather, one thick, one very thin. Probably don't need the thin one.

edit, the leather will be the same shape as most sprung brooks, I have one lying around if you want to take a pattern off it..

edit edit, the underlay will have been stuffed under there when the leather ripped probly.